Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What I'm Reading: Lean In


Despite the turmoil and chaos surrounding me as we pack up the house and get ready for our move to Colorado, I do still find time to read.  How?  I do all my reading via audiobooks in that brief, quiet time right before I fall asleep.  I've brushed my teeth, I'm happily settled in bed, and I will nestle in, put in an earphone, and start up the book.  I sometimes suffer from insomnia, so when I wake up in the middle in the night, I'll put the earphones in and listen to books in the middle of the night.  Sometimes I even fit a little reading in when I first wake up and am not quite ready to get out of bed.  Reading time in the morning is going to eventually be placed with exercise, but for now, I am happy to start my day with a little escape with a book.

Right now I'm reading Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In.  I'm only on chapter 5 but am finding lots of good food for thought.  Up until two years ago, my life was all about work and running.  My husband and I were certain were pretty certain we didn't want to have kids.  What changed?  It was a lot of things: work wasn't as satisfying, friends were having babies, and I began to ponder that question that haunts me every now and then: is the hokey pokey what it's all about?!  Seriously, though, after years of trying to find satisfaction at work and often feeling like that I was measured differently because I am a woman, I've found lots of "I can relate to that" scenarios in Sheryl's book.

In searching the internet, I've also found lots of other posts discussing Lean In, which is making for a psuedo-book club discussion (albeit one-way, since I'm reading other people's thoughts on Lean In and not necessary submitting my own thoughts).  It's been interesting to read other women's opinions towards the book.  Here are few posts I've found recently:

Agreements & Disagreements with Lean In
A Naysayer on Lean In
The Review I Identify with the Most

Have you read Sheryl Sandberg's book, Lean In?  What are your opinions on Sheryl's message?

2 comments:

  1. I'm on the waiting list for the Kindle edition of this book, and I can't wait to read it. I've heard so many things about it, and after seeing the author on the Daily Show, decided I needed to see what all the fuss is about. Will let you know what I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, have you gotten your Kindle edition of the book? I've compared notes with a couple of my friends who just finished the book and the feedback has ranged from complete agreement to disappointment.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...