Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Happy Dance: First Run in Denver

Ten days after arriving in our new home, I finally went for a run.

With summer fast approaching, I've made a promise to myself that I am going to ease back into running.  The last race I ran was a half marathon in Chicago in August 2010.  That year I ran 8 races (1 marathon, 5 half marathons, a 15K and a 10K).  Since then, I haven't run much.  Last year, when my son turned one, I tried to get back into running.  It didn't happen.

San Francisco has great places to run, don't get me wrong.  But I didn't make it a priority to get out regularly.  I had a good 2 month stretch last fall, and after the holidays I never got back into it.

Now that I'm in Denver, I've made a new pledge to try again.  One thing I've noticed is people are really active here.  Other places I've lived that have had a high number of active people: San Diego and Hawaii.  I really hope that all these active Denverites motivate me to get out there!

Today's run wasn't so much a run, but more of a run-walk.  Using the methods the San Diego Track Club taught me the two years ago when I trained with them for marathons, I'll slowly work up to longer runs.  Right now my goal is to just get out there and run-walk for 30 minutes, four to five times a week.  Once I've done that consistently, I'll move onto longer runs on the weekends.

Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...