Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hello, Colorado!


We have arrived!  This past weekend, my husband loaded up a U-Haul trailer with enough belongings to get us by for the next 6 months in our temporary corporate housing, and drove over 1200 miles from our old home in the Bay Area to our new home in Colorado.  My husband spent 21 hours in the car, not including rest times.  My son and I flew the same distance in a mere 2.5 hours, but door-to-door, the entire trip was 4 hours.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.

Originally, we were going to make it a family road trip but after my husband drove the U-Haul trailer home, he told me the thing rattled so much there was no way our 21-month old son was going to get ANY sleep.  The day before we were going to head out, we changed plans and I bought a plane ticket.  And here we are.  In Colorado.  Alot has happened in the last week, so let me share the highlights.

The Weather
Oh yes, let's start with the weather.  When we arrived on Sunday, it was 84 degrees, sunny & hot.  After pointing out to my husband that it has snowed every Tuesday in April in Colorado, it was his turn to tell me that the snowy days were behind us.  It was also in the 80s on Monday, and then we turned on the news that night.  Snow!  What?  I woke up this lovely Tuesday morning and sure enough, it was starting to snow.  It's been going for about 4-5 hours now and it's nice and thick and a lovely 33 degrees outside.

Having lived in California for most of my life, I get excited when it snows, because it usually happens on when I'm vacation: Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, Salt Lake City, Whistler, you get the picture.  So I was thrilled to see snow in May but I overheard a couple of people at the coffee shop this morning wondering aloud, when is the snow going to stop?  It's May!

The People
My husband has been bragging about how nice everyone is in Colorado.  Today I had my first friendly encounter.  I went grocery shopping this morning and on my way out of the store, a total stranger struck up a conversation.  That would never happen in California, and if it did, I would normally be on guard.  But for whatever reason, I wasn't the least bit suspicious (ok, maybe just a tiny bit).  I hope the trend continues...

Getting Settled
I am a work at home mom (WAHM).  My husband and I moved from Southern California to Northern California 2 years ago due to a job offer (his job, not mine).  I was 8 months pregnant, so I gave notice, we moved, I had my little boy, and when he was 9 months old, I decided to re-enter the workforce.  When I contacted my old workplace for references, they asked if I would like to resume work, in a slightly different role (no direct reports), and do it all remotely.  Of course I said yes!  That was over a year ago.  When I told my manager that we were relocating from California to Colorado, I asked if I could take my job with me.  Happily, the answer was yes.  

I'm taking this week off of work to get settled and there is ALOT to try and tackle.  There isn't much unpacking to do, but there is all the other "stuff": finding new doctors, a pediatrician, a dentist, a place to get my haircut, etc; figuring out where to do my groceries, the local library, places with kids activities, playgrounds; and -- this part I'm MOST excited about -- where to exercise!  There are so many places to go running, hiking, biking, and my fingers are crossed that I find places that are a little more accessible to where we live now.  Surprisingly, that was the hardest part about where we lived: it was really hilly (I'm talking San Francisco steep) and it was really hard to get motivated about getting out for a run or bike ride some days.

Now that the big production of getting our old house packed up and moving ourselves is over, I plan to post a little more frequently.  Stay tuned on how settlin' down in Colorado works out for us!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...