Friday, January 24, 2014

Happiness Is...



...getting in a good sweat!
...getting more out of your workout than you had expected.
...watching a good movie that makes you think about your own good times.

After reading one of Angie's recent posts at A Mother's Pace, I was inspired to get onto my own spin bike at home and go for a ride.  I'm not ready for the rigor that Angie has committed to (she is following a spin workout she found on a fellow blogger's site) but I thought I'd get on the bike and ride long enough to cover the 6,000 steps I usually average during my daily 5K walk.

Our spin bike is in our basement and we've positioned it close to the television for obvious reasons.  My husband usually pops in Spinervals, a spin DVD that simulates being in a spin class.  Again, I'm not ready for that kind of rigor -- not yet.  Instead, I decided I would watch one of my favorite movies, 500 Days of Summer.  I've seen this movie many times and I never get tired of it.

Every time I watch Zoey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt fall into a relationship which he tries to label and she refuses to label, it takes me back to my twenties, when the promise of finding that perfect person was still that: a promise, a hope, a shining beacon of happiness.  And although the movie has heartbreak (sorry if I ruined it for you), I love that it takes me back to that hopeful time in my life.

By the end of my 45 minute bike ride, I was only halfway through the movie, but I wrapped up my workout and the movie feeling lighter.  I felt good having broken a sweat from my workout and I felt good about reliving the better parts of my twenties.  Something tells me I'll be getting back on that spin bike again soon.

 Do you have any movies that elicit happy thoughts or memories?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your spin bike! I love spinning, but getting to class is tricky and I could never motivate myself to do it at home.

    I've never watched 500 Days of Summer - will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey - we got our spin bike at a secondhand sports shop. It wasn't terribly expensive, either. BUT it was incredibly heavy and it was a bit of work to get it into the car and get it to our house.

      Definitely give 500 Days of Summer a try. You'll soon learn why Joseph Levitt-Gordon and Zooey Deschanel are totally "adorkable".

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited that you got on the bike and that it was a great workout. I've heard about Spinervals and been curious about it...I think I'll have to eventually work up to something like that. Thanks so much for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, you've been a big inspiration: I got on the spin bike on Saturday morning and then went for an actual bike ride with the family on Sunday!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...