Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Having Fun with a Toddler


My husband and I are really enjoying our son, now that he is a toddler with a predictable sleep schedule.  We know that he will sleep from 7:30pm to 7am and that he will nap somewhere around 1-3pm every afternoon.  Along with the predictable sleep schedule, we've enjoyed exploring his ever expanding world.

And that list of activities is oh-so-important to my husband and myself.  Before we had our son, we weren't much in the way of couch potatoes.  We loved getting out and exploring, which we did alot as we moved from San Francisco to Los Angeles to San Diego within the span of five years.  During that time, we ate, hiked, ran, and shopped our way through all three cities.

The first year of parenthood was a HUGE adjustment for us as we were sleep deprived and there wasn't much we could do from our old life, now that we had an infant.  We went out for an occasional meal here and there and I went on lots of walks and hikes with my son, both in the baby carrier and in the jogging stroller.

But now we have a two and a half year old and we have a good list of activities that my husband and I rotate through to keep things fun and active when it comes to hanging out with our son.  On the weekends, we try to spend as much time together as a family, but sometimes we need to divide and conquer.  After all, life goes on.  Groceries need to be purchases, errands need to be run, meals need to be cooked, and houses need to be cleaned.

Here are activities we like, which we try to do regularly, weekday or weekend:

  1. Any of the many playgrounds around us
  2. Public library
  3. Bike riding
  4. Zoo
  5. Science Museum
  6. Children's Museum
  7. Monkey Business (a large indoor gym with apparatus to climb in/on/around, slides, and a jumping tent)
  8. My Gym (organized activities, classes are offered by age)
And those of you with toddlers: what activities do you like to do with your little one(s)?




4 comments:

  1. Toddlers are fun! We love being active too. I can't wait until it gets just a bit warmer out and we can go for long walks in our neighborhood. We also love to go to the YMCA and climb on their small climbing wall for kids. The kids also love to go swimming there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The YMCA is a great idea! I'll have to add that to the list for when our son gets older.

      Delete
  2. Having a baby was a huge adjustment for us too.

    I'm not sure that our Y has anything for the toddler age. I'll have to check! I stick to the weight room and cardio area, so I don't get to explore much.

    We have a membership to our local children's museum and just joined our local science center, which includes membership to several of our museums. Oh yeah, and the zoo membership too! Winter is actually my favorite time to go to the zoo, the animals are most active then! But it's been too bitter cold to be outside for that long lately. I try to aim for the 30-40 degree days. We also hit lots of playgrounds and our local library. We live in part of the city, so we like taking our trolley system downtown and exploring, hanging out by the rivers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey glad to hear I am not alone on adjusting to having a baby. It sounds like you have alot going on in your city; we moved out of the city to the suburbs...sometimes I miss having all that fun like the trolley system nearby, but we do get into the city regularly.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...