Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Fitbit Report

Left: Jan 13-19 progress, Right: Jan 20-26 progress

As promised in my earlier post, Fitness Tools, I'm going to try and report my Fitbit progress every week.  On Mondays, Fitbit sends me an email with a summary of my week (Monday-Sunday): total number of steps recorded, total miles walked/ran, total floors climbed (including any elevation gain during walks/runs), total calories burned, and, total calories in vs out.  I should explain that my Fitbit device calculates calories in versus out based on calories burned (as tracked by the Fitbit) against what I report I've eaten through MyFitnessPal, so that number is only as good as how accurately I report what I've eaten.

To save you having to do the math on some of these numbers, I'm currently aiming for 10,000 steps a day, which would add up to 70,000 steps a week.  Ever since I got my Fitbit back in August 2013, I've been shocked at how many days I don't get to the 10,000 steps a day goal.  So, with the new year, I've pledged to get back into moving more.  To help with getting to 10,000 steps a day, I find that I have to get out there and cover the distance of a 5K, whether that be through walking or running.  I'm amazed at how much time I spend just sitting!!  

I'm starting out the year slow and am currently focusing on walking (see Runner turned Walker), but I've been so inspired by all the mama (and non-mama) bloggers out there who are running that I may just get back to it as soon as I've established a good solid walking routine.  Having just moved from California to Denver, I'm still figuring out how to run when it's snowy or icy outside, which is part of the reason I've been walking more.

My fellow bloggers who are runners may not find these numbers terribly impressive; I wish I'd had my Fitbit back in the day when I was running 4-5 days a week, including long runs on Saturdays...I'm guessing I would have clocked closer to 100,000 steps a week, but perhaps not, since I am getting out there every day and walking 3 miles, for a total of 21 miles a week, which isn't too far off from my old average of 25-30 miles of running per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...