F-Line Streetcar in San Francisco. February 2014.
along the Embarcadero, the San Francisco Ferry Building, and North Beach (great Italian food!).
If You Plan to Visit (with Kids)
If you have plans to visit San Francisco in the near future, here are some sites you may want to weave into your trip if you visit with little ones in tow:
- Golden Gate Park (all ages) -- the "Central Park" of San Francisco.
- Sue Bierman Park Playground (ages 2-5) -- near the Ferry Building and the Saturday Farmer's Market.
- Hellen Diller Playground (ages 2-5) -- right near the Mission and some amazing food!
- San Francisco Cable Cars (all ages) -- sometimes the wait to get on the cable car can be ridiculous. Make sure you bring a windbreaker. San Francisco is cold; even in the summertime.
- The F-Line Streetcar (all ages) does not show up on the cable car web page, so you'll have to look here for more info. I love this streetcar because it runs from the Ferry Building to Pier 39, and is an alternate to the Powell/Hyde and Powell/Mason cable cars that often have really long lines.
- Crissy Field (all ages) is a beautiful open space along the bay, right at the southern end of the Golden Gate Bridge. Dress in layers if you go -- it can be sunny and relatively warm or it can be foggy and blustery.
- The Exploratorium (ages 8+) -- the nerd in me loved the old Exploratorium when I was a kid, and the new Exploratorium is now along the Embarcadero, just two hundred yards or so from the Ferry Building.
To kick off your weekend, I thought I'd share a couple of photos from our recent trip. We will be back going back again in May (we have family out there), so I'll share more kid-friendly ideas after that trip, as well. And, because I love food, I'll try and get more/better food shots!
View of the Tribune Tower in Oakland.
Museum of Children's Art in Oakland (MOCHA)
Next 3 photos: the best Farmer's Market in the Bay Area. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at the SF Ferry Building.
Next 3 photos: San Francisco Ballet at the War Memorial Opera House
And last, but not least, a few food photos!
Really, really good macarons in flavors like grapefruit and chocolate orange from Miette.
Beautiful desserts and coffees at Caffe Greco in the North Beach area.