Thursday, February 6, 2014

Walk This Way...


Hello, how about a little Aerosmith for you today?

I'm excited to share that my walking program is still going (over a month strong now!) and I'm now a true believer that I can get the same benefits...
of weight maintenance as I did when I was running 4-5 times a week, simply by keeping close to the same weekly mileage I covered when running.

My latest copy of Real Simple arrived late last week, with an article on getting fit through walking:

I walked over 40 miles last week according to my pedometer and I can tell that the walking is really helping with my weight maintenance.  I'm feeling ready to add in some strength exercises and maybe some flexibility challenges (yoga, anyone?) very soon now that I'm walking 3.5-4 miles at a go.  I'll keep you posted with my weekly FitBit reports on Tuesdays, when I also report my workouts for the week.

This past Tuesday, it snowed all day here in Colorado, and although it was only an inch or so throughout the day, it was pretty cold, although not as cold as it got on Wednesday: I got up early Wednesday morning to do a little shoveling (great core workout) and the thermostat said it was -5F!  I know that for some of you, that is nothing, but I've only been in Colorado for nine months (we moved from California), so cut me a break -- it's my first winter.  I can't say I'm hating it.  But I will admit, I'm still learning how to drive in the snow.

When it's cold out, what do you like to do for exercise?  Do you go to a gym or work out at home?

6 comments:

  1. Your pictures are making me cold! The thought of walking outside in this weather makes me shiver. It is amazing that you are doing it!

    I go to the gym for almost all exercise, even in warm months. I don't like working out outside! And at home, I am too lazy/preoccupied to exercise, except for a few crunches here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey - I would love to be a gym girl, and trust me I've tried it! I actually used to be a regular gym goer when I lived in California (who needs a gym there!) and now that I live somewhere where it's below 40 pretty regularly, I'm surprised I haven't joined one. I may eventually... I just like to mix it up, and being outdoors helps me keep it fresh, especially where I live, where there are lots of biking and walking trails. When I lived in San Francisco it was hard to go anywhere without having to deal with traffic, but everything is so nice and spread out here in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your walking routine! So many people poo-poo walking, even though it's by far one of the best exercises to stick with consistently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, thanks for the support! I'm glad to hear there are others who think walking is a fine way to stay in shape.

      Delete
  4. 40 walking miles in a week! That is huge, great job! I work out at home but I'm lucky to have some equipment here so I don't always have to get out and brave the cold or bad weather conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! I am jealous of your treadmill at home! All I have is the spin bike, weights, and workout DVDs, but thenI have no excuse to go outside every now and then!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...