Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday #1

Veggie pizza, just before it went in the oven.

It's my first official What I Ate Wednesday post!  I love the idea of trading stories of what we've all eaten recently -- so many interesting ideas can be found out there on WIAW posts.  I'm excited to join Jenn and here weekly What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) at her beautiful blog, Peas & Crayons.  In the spirit of Jenn's declaration that February be "Love Your Veggies" month, here is some info about me and veggies.

What's your favorite veggie?
Brussel sprouts, hands down.  A little olive oil, salt & pepper, into the oven at 450F for 25-30 minutes and they are SO, SO, SO good.

Go-to cooking/prep for veggies?
In the winter, roasting veggies.  In the summer, grilling them.

How do you add in extra veggies & fruits into my day?
I've recently decided I'm going to try to move towards a Paleo diet, so I have to eat veggies & fruits!  When you can't eat any grains, you have to get some carbs from somewhere else, and in my case they come from my veggies and my fruits!  (I haven't gone completely grain-free just yet; occasionally I'll have the tiniest amount of brown rice every other day).


I just went Paleo in the last two weeks, so we'll see if I can stick to it.  I don't miss bread, pasta, or baked goods, but I am having a bit of trouble kicking the sugar.  I just love, love, love dark chocolate.  

In the picture above, I had to share a photo of something I ate two weeks ago, just before I decided to transition to paleo: a veggie pizza.  I love veggies with tomato sauce & cheese.  Ooh, I think I'm going to miss that as a Paleo eater.

Here's what I ate yesterday (Tuesday).  You may notice that I'm still working to get to 100% free of grains, dairy, sugar, and legumes.

{Breakfast} egg scramble with broccoli, red bell pepper, tomatoes, diced ham (no cheese! yes!)
{mid-morning snack} sliced strawberries with almond milk and slivered almonds...so good I almost thought I was having dessert in the morning! 
{lunch} mixed greens with sliced apple, red onion, blue cheese (definitely not Paleo!), and hazelnuts.  One of my favorite salad combinations, but definitely strong on the flavor.  Not for those with simple taste buds. 
{afternoon snack} turkey slices & avocado
{dinner} carne asada with roasted brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and carrots.

Have you eaten anything delicious recently?  Do you link up to any WIAW parties?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...