Thursday, March 13, 2014

Six Things I'm Glad I Did Pre-Baby

On days when I'm reminiscing, I sometimes think back to my life before I became a parent.  My husband and I decided to become parents rather late in life (I was 35), so I had alot of time to really enjoy life.  After having that much time to dedicate to just you (and a significant other), the first year of parenthood can be a huge eye opener!  The only thing I miss from my pre-parent days is free time.  Knowing that free time is hard to come by these days as a parent, every once in a while, I'll give myself a little pat on the back for all the fun things I did pre-baby.

Six Things I'm Glad I Did Pre-Baby

I'm not talking about going on a babymoon or leaving work early to start nesting.  I'm talking about all the fabulous things I did waaaaaay before I got pregnant.



1. Spending quality time with my husband.  We got to spend five entire years together, just the two of us.  We both worked hard, but we always managed to spend time together every day, no matter how busy life got.


2. Spending quality time with myself.  My husband has his interests and I have mine, so on the weekends, we would always allot some time where we could pursue our individual hobbies.  I had a phase where I baked up a storm, another phase where I took up knitting, but in the end, I decided my true love was crafting, and I spent a crazy amount of time scrapbooking.  I don't scrapbook as much now, but I keep hoping that when my son is a little older, we can scrapbook together. 

3. Investing time in an activity I wasn't terribly interested in.  Hey, if you're going to try something new, only to find out you don't love it, it's easier to do so when you're not a parent!  My husband became a golf fanatic while we were living in San Diego.  I started going to the driving range with him just to be with him, and before I knew it, I owned my own golf clubs and he had signed me up for private lessons.  I hung in there for one year, and then I told him that I preferred scrapbooking to golfing.  Maybe when we're retired, I'll give it another try.

4. Hanging with the girls on a regular basis.  My husband and I moved twice in the first three years we were together.  First from San Francisco to Los Angeles (2003) and then from LA to San Diego (2005).  I had to make a new group of friends every time we moved, but I did eventually find a great group in San Diego, and we tried to get together at least once a month, if not more often.   Now that I live in Denver, if I'm having a cocktail, I'll snap a photo of my drink and post it on Facebook and I'll host an impromptu virtual happy hour with my friends in California.


5. Joining a running club.  This was my husband's idea.  And it was the BEST idea.  We joined a running club when we moved to San Diego and we met so many great people who became our good friends.  The two years we were in the club, I ran two marathons and 12 half marathons.



6. Visiting a foreign country.  Two years before we got pregnant, we traveled to Paris and Sao Paulo (two different trips).  I don't know when we're going to be able to afford traveling out of the country again so I'm very happy we went abroad when we did.










For those of you who are now parents, what are you glad you did before you decided to have a child?  And for those of you who are not yet parents (or do not plan to become parents), what fabulous things are you doing in your current days of non-parenthood?

8 comments:

  1. I like this post topic! My husband and I were married 4 years before having our son, which was perfect for us - lots of good married couple time before adding a little one to the mix. I also went to graduate school and got my master's degree, which would have been unlikely to happen post-baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the topic...I had fun writing it! Graduate school pre-baby is definitely a good idea.

      Delete
  2. I was 34 when Susanna was born. In those 34 years I lived actively, so when I was married and with child(ren) I'd be ready to be with them.

    Some highlights... running-hiking for 18 days in Patagonia, completing yoga teacher training, paying off all of my debts (student loans and car), being in excellent health, and pairing down all of my "wordly needs" to the essentials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patagonia...my wanderlust is piquing again! And I agree with getting debts paid off. I remember being shocked at how much of my paycheck went towards student loans once I started working, but I was determined to pay all my school loans off in as short a time as possible.

      Delete
  3. My hubs and I were married for 8 years before we had our kids. We traveled and got to know each other as spouses before being parents. I couldn't imagine doing it differently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is a nice long chunk of time to really enjoy each other. I'm sure that has alot to do with your happiness today as a family of four!

      Delete
  4. Lovely lovely post! We're not planning on becoming parents for a while yet and are appreciating the quality pre-baby time and experiences we spend together :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I highly recommend all that time you are spending together! Cherish it! Record it! Love it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...