Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Treat Yourself Tuesday #4: Birthday Weekend


This Tuesday, I'm linking up with Becky at Olives n Wine for Treat Yourself Tuesday.  My birthday weekend turned into a weekend of delectable eating, and, there is no better way to treat oneself than to eat loads of good food.

Earlier this week, Lauren, a fellow Denver blogger, chastised me for not citing Denver on my list of cities with good food.  After this weekend of fine dining, I might have to add Denver to that coveted list!

Friday night: we didn't have any plans for Friday night and as we got closer to the dinner hour, I realized I just wasn't in the mood to cook.  The problem was, we couldn't decide where we wanted to go.  So after consulting my short list of "Denver restaurants we need to try", we lucked out at CafeBar.  I didn't know if we could get in on a Friday night without reservations, but we are early diners (thanks to our toddler), and we were able to get a table, no waiting.  The food reminded me of what you might get in a French brasserie.  And the restaurant was hip but still had a warm ambiance.  We can't wait to go back for another meal.
Hanger Steak with Grilled Asparagus and Mashed Potatoes
Saturday night: this was the BIG night.  We have an "event" place -- a restaurant we like to do go to for special events: birthdays, anniversaries, celebrations -- a steakhouse called Shanahan's.  So of course, that is where we started our evening.  No thinking about what to drink: I had my favorite cocktail, the "bubbly" pear martini.
Cheers!
I took several photos of our meals (with my husband trying to suppress a smile), but the lighting wasn't the best, so I decided not to post the dinner photos.  

The real surprise of the evening was the apres-dinner event.  I figured it had to be some kind of performance because my husband was very clear with the waiter that we had to leave by 7pm.  In the end, I was surprised; I thought we were going to see the orchestra or a play, but instead, we saw Chicago!  I'm not much of a musical goer and now I'm beginning to think I should go see more musicals.   Our seats were amazing -- we were two rows away from the stage.  I love the movie version of the musical, but there is nothing like seeing a live performance.  It was a great night.
Denver Performing Arts Complex

Do you like musicals?  Do you have a favorite you'd recommend?

5 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Chicago seems like a great musical to see live. I absolutely love Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables, although the latter always leaves me in tears whether it's the movie, book, or musical.
    Oh, I have some family members that moved to Denver a little while back. I really want to visit sometime, but not in the winter - that seems really rough and cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Les Miserables, too, almost for got about that one (how could I?). If you do ever come to Denver, please look me up!

      Delete
    2. I definitely will! I don't know when we will be going to the US next though, which is bumming me out a bit, but life is too hectic for a trip now. I can't imagine how crazy it must have been for you to move from California to Colorado!

      Delete
  2. Wow, girl, that drink is SO big! I bet it was tasty from the sound of it too :) My husband and I saw Chicago! while we were in NYC a few years ago and loved it... and now we live in Chicago ;) Sounds like you had such a great weekend of treats all celebrating yourself! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becky, I love making the TYTs when I can! The drink isn't as big as it looks in the photo...I had to look again, and I guess it does look fairly large in the photo...sleight of hand with the camera, I guess.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...