Sunday, March 9, 2014

Weekend Recap and Meal Planning - March 9


How is your weekend wrapping up?  I've been so busy, my weekend feels like it's been a whole week, rather than a mere two-three days (I guess it depends on if you count Friday!)

Friday afternoon I headed off to the grocery store to stock up on veggies for the weekend.  I picked up kale, eggplant, yellow onions, carrots, tomatoes, avocados (my favorite!), limes, basil, thyme, oranges, apples, and strawberries.

Friday night, it was snowing pretty heavily in Denver, so we stayed in and enjoyed pot roast and a vegetable gratin (from one of Deborah Madison's cookbooks...I love her!):

I was glad for the big snow dump on Friday night as it was just beautiful Saturday morning:

Saturday was a much needed rest day after a big week of exercise!  With spring just around the corner, I am back on my road bike...I went out for two 1.5 hour bike rides on Tuesday and Thursday...all to get ready to go on my first time pulling my son behind my bike in a bike trailer.  Normally I go on all my bike rides with my husband and HE pulls the trailer.  

So on Sunday...I did it!  I went out on my road bike and I pulled my son behind me.  My husband is training for a marathon in May, so we headed out at the same time, and he promised that if I ran into any problems with the bike or the bike trailer, he would run over and help me out.  It turns out, he didn't need to help me out at all.  My son and I managed fine and we were out there for about about an hour and a half, not counting our Starbucks stop on the way home.  I can't wait to get out there again!

If you're curious about my other workouts this week, you can check out my Fit Log, which I update every week with all my workouts, as well as notes to myself so that I have a good record of my exercise patterns from week to week as the intensity and number of workouts fluctuate up and down (as they should!) when you're a mom.

Meal Planning for Week of March 9
My husband is going on a very long business trip (read: Monday night through Friday), so there won't be any grand meals this week.  I'm going to be dipping into the reserves in our freezer as well as continue my experimentation for tasty paleo recipes.  I still owe you all a post about my efforts to move towards a Paleo diet (I'm taking baby steps!) and I hope to have that up soon.  Here's what I'm thinking for a week of my son and I dining on our own...

Sunday
Shrimp Coconut Lemongrass Soup

Monday

Roasted Squash Salad with Pumpkin Seeds

Tuesday
Salmon Salad with Lime-Ginger Dressing

Wednesday
Meat sauce with zucchini noodles (made with my spirooli/spiralizer)

Thursday
Leftovers

Friday
Travelling!  A fun restaurant in Portland!

Saturday
Travelling!  A fun restaurant in Portland!

I would love to hear from you!  I've gotten some feedback that some people have been unable to post comments in reply to my blog.  If you've been having trouble, please let me know by emailing me at supersmartmama@gmail.com.  I'm a bit a new to the whole blogosphere and I've had some trouble with adding widgets and other features to my blog.  I recently had to disable IntenseDebate because it was just giving me trouble.  So if you left a comment in the last month, I'm sorry, I had to lose all those comments when I disabled IntenseDebate.

And, if anyone wants to help out a newbie blogger, I would love any pointers, so feel free to email me with feedback, tips, or any general advice if you find my blog lacking in any way or if you have any trouble with my blog.  Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome job on all your bike rides! I love Deborah Madison, too... that gratin looks delicious. Hope the solo parenting week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura thanks for the well wishes. I only have one child to look after, but i really love the balance of two parents sharing all the child duties! My son was an angel tonight... only three more nights to go!!

      Delete
  2. LOVE the photo of you on your bike pulling your son. Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I was so THRILLED to not have any trouble pulling my son (although uphill was a bit of challenge). I am sure you will all be seeing more photos of my biking with the trailer.

      Delete
  3. The Shrimp Coconut Lemongrass Soup sounds awesome! And that's great that you were able to go on a nice bike ride! I'm so happy the weather is finally showing signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janelle, the soup was delicious. It was so easy, I'm going to have to post a little recipe / how-to sometime in the future. And yes, I am happy that spring seems to be around the corner.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...