Wednesday, March 19, 2014

WIAW #4: Portland Edition!

View of Portland from our Southwest flight.

It's time for What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW)!  I am linking up with Jenn at Peas & Crayons for WIAW.  If you haven't heard about WIAW, you can read all about it at Jenn's blog here.

Nothing excites me more than eating than travelling somewhere to eat good food.

I've lived in great cities with great food: Boston, Honolulu, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego (sorry Denver).  I've also visited great cities with great food: New York City, Vancouver, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Palm Springs, and Charleston.  I had no idea that Portland has great food.

We took a little trip this past weekend to just check out Portland in the springtime (first time visiting).  Their food scene blew me away.

So this WIAW, I am sharing all the delicious things we ate over the weekend in Portland.

Friday, 3pm: Check into the Deluxe Hotel
After checking out all the options to get from Portland Airport to downtown Portland, I decided we would give public transportation a try and we rode the MAX Light Rail.  My son loved it.  Totally worth it, even if it did take 40 minutes to get to our hotel.

After we checked into our hotel (and that really is the name of the hotel), we went down to the bar, a swank little place called the Driftwood Room.  We had dinner reservations for later in the evening, so we decided to just indulge in a few nibbles at the bar.  I had a Portabello Mushroom burger which was delicious but not too filling.

Friday, 6pm: Accanto
Without much direction, I made reservations for this lovely Italian place, which is nestled next door to the less casual Genoa.  The food was good, but I think dessert was my favorite dish of the evening.
Chocolate Pots De Creme with Grand Marnier with Whipped Cream and Butter Cookie


Saturday, 8am: thanks to the time difference (just one hour) we "slept in" and then stumbled downstairs to have breakfast at Gracie's.
Vegetable hash with onions, red bell pepper, spinach, zucchini, and potatoes.

Saturday, 12:30pm: after a busy morning at the Portland Children's Museum, we headed over to the Portland Farmer's Market.  We totally lucked out... the Farmer's market runs March through October, and we scored by showing up on opening weekend!
Chicken Tikka Masala from Portland Curry stand

Saturday, 5:30pm: still operating on Denver time, we were starving by 5pm.  We walked around the Pearl District oohing and aahing over all the food options.  In the end we settled for a small plates place, Italian style.
Prosecco, salumi & cheese plate, and a prosciutto and fig pizza.

Sunday, 9am: brunch and breakfast places do not open early on Sundays in Portland.  Which is fine...but, boy, was I starving by the time 9am rolled around.  That gave me lots of time to research where to eat brunch, and I had to decide between Broder (a Scandinavian restaurant that sounded very unique) and Tasty N Alder.  I decided on the latter because it was closer to our hotel.  We were not disappointed...it was probably the best meal of the weekend.
Auntie Paulie's French Toast with Pear Maple & Whipped Cream
Korean Fried Chicken topped with Egg and Kimchi

Sunday mid-morning: just when we thought we were all done with eating for the morning, we walked past a donut shop with a line that went out the door.  We had to look into the hype that was Blue Star Donuts.  I'm not a big donut fan, but this chocolate varlhona donut with cream filling was so so good.  I'm thankful there isn't a Blue Star Donuts in Denver or I would probably weigh 500 pounds pretty quickly.


Have you ever traveled to Portland?  What is your favorite city to travel to for food?

12 comments:

  1. Yum! I love eating at new places when I travel too. I went to Portland last summer and definitely enjoyed some good food! So many yummy places to eat there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay a fellow traveler! I am going to have to get in touch with you before we go to Portland again and find out if you have any recommendations!

      Delete
  2. I've never been to Portland but I really want to go! I'm salivating over your French toast...and that donut, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, the donut was unbelievable. Really. If there ever was a reason to get on a plane, Blue Star Donuts is it!

      Delete
  3. Does this mean you think Denver doesn't have good food?! Blasphemy! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, so great to hear from a fellow Denverite blogger! Thanks for finding me! Denver has good food, it just doesn't have ENOUGH good food choices for me. I like a little variety. I checked out your blog, I will have to go eat at Linger. I'm coming up to my one year anniversary in Denver...hopefully we will find more great food in year two!

      Delete
  4. The food is my favorite part of traveling to new places too! That all looks AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I have been loving your food & exercise photos from your recent trip to India. Can't wait to see where you go next!

      Delete
  5. Portland is one of the cities on my list that I would like to visit. And after seeing the yummy looking food you ate than I definitely have to make it up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey, I highly recommend Portland. It's not too far from where you are in SoCal!

      Delete
  6. I have never been to Portland but it is on my bucket list! It looks like you had a fun trip and a lot of yummy food. That chocolate pot looks amazing!! When we were in Denver last summer we actually stumbled upon several great food places and we were pleasantly surprised by the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been to Denver! Yes, good food can be found here...I will have to make more of an effort to find the good Denver food as Lauren pointed out above.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...