Sunday, March 23, 2014

Workout Recap and Meal Planning - March 23

What a great weekend!  And it's only half over!  Spring started showing up here and there in the last week, so I was able to get out on my road bike once this week.  To help with improving my biking outside, I've been trying to fit in 20 minute workouts of ladders, hill repeats, and tabatas with Mindy Mylrea and her Short & Sweet DVD.  The tabatas are especially fun...you work as hard as you can for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest.
 We do eight sets of these 20-10 combos for a total of 4 minutes, and then we rest complete for three minutes.  Then we do another 4 minute grouping of tabatas, followed by one more 3 minute rest period, and one final 4 minute grouping.  I can really push myself during those 20 seconds of high threshold.  The video has visuals to help:

I've only been doing the DVD for about two weeks, but I've already noticed an improvement, based on how high I can turn up the resistance during the 20 seconds of "all out".  That's the beauty of the spin bike, the difficulty level is all up to you!!

This was my first week mixing in running into my regular walking routine.  I'm trying to work back up to running th 5K loop near my house.  If I can get to running a 5K by mid April, I am going to try sign up for a 5K or 10K in May or June.
Sunday: walked 2 miles on hotel treadmill (travel day)
Monday: walked/ran 2 miles, tabata workout on spin bike with Mindy Mylrea
Tuesday: walked 7 miles (super windy outside!)
Wednesday: rest day
Thursday: walk/run: ran 2 miles, walked 1 mile.  21 miles on road bike
Friday: walk/run: ran 2 miles, walked 1 mile.
Saturday: tabata workout on spin bike with Mindy Mylrea


Weekly Meal Plan


Sunday: Roasted chicken, roasted vegetables
Monday: Leftovers with roasted chicken
Tuesday: Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw (from Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook)
Wednesday: turkey meat sauce with zucchini noodles

Thursday: Bacon and Sweet Potato Chili with Roasted Broccoli
Friday: dining out
Saturday: salmon with mango salsa

Are you a meal planner?  Or do you wing it from day to day?  Do you have any reliable dishes that you can throw together in a pinch?

8 comments:

  1. Tabatas are so tough! But they really make a difference in your fitness. Mmm, the zucchini noodles sound delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, the zucchini noodles are so easy to make, and much faster than regular pasta. I make our zucchini noodles using a spiralizer/spirooli.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried a spin DVD or gone to a class before. I'm sure it would help me out a lot. My husband and I are considering taking a class at our local Y. It seems I've seen zucchini noodles around a lot lately. They look so good! GREAT job fitting some running into your workout schedule. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, I hope you and your husband get to that spin class at your local Y. I tried taking spin with my husband a few years ago. These days, I'm just happy to do my workouts at home, so no gym classes for me!

      Delete
  3. I'm a long time meal planner! It just makes the week so much easier. Lately my quick go to has been loaded sweet potatoes. Endless ideas for toppings using whatever I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jill, I'm just getting into this meal planning concept, thanks to all you long time meal planners convening and sharing your ideas. I'm also new to sweet potatoes, and I'm loving them.

      Delete
  4. You salmon and mango looks absolutely fantastic! I need to get some mangos to make try that out! Yummm! And those zucchini noodles also look delicious!

    I am a meal planner, but I don't always stick to it. I use it as an idea of what I can make with the ingredients that we have or are planning to buy for the week. I may change the meal that I prepare when I go to cook, but still use the same ingredients. That way, I still feel like I am getting the benefits of meal planning because I don't just buy a bunch of extra groceries. Sometimes, I just feel like trying something new :)

    In a pinch, I will go for an easy pasta sauce - a tin of tomatoes, whatever veggies we have at home, and some lean mince. If I know I will be busy during the week, I'll make a huge batch of chili and then eat leftovers once or even twice. Because that gets boring, I'll use the leftovers to make some sort of Mexican-y lasagna, by also adding corn and olives and chili peppers, and spreading that over a few layers of corn tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuliya, I am like you: since I started this meal planning business, I've realized that it's going to take some practice to stick to what I plan. The meal plan is very helpful for my trips to the grocery store, but now and again, I find myself veering away from the plan on this day or that.

      I think easy pasta sauce is my go to recipe too, although I put my sauce on top of veggies these days instead of pasta. :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...