Friday, April 18, 2014

Simple Sweet Kale Salad with Cranberries & Almonds

Big Sky in Colorado.  April 17, 2014.

Yay, it's Friday!  We are in for some awesome weather here in Colorado.  The weatherman says it's going to be 75 today (woot!) and stay around the 70s most of the weekend.  It's even supposed to get up to 77 next Tuesday (insert happy dance here).  I couldn't ask for better weather for Easter weekend.  I think we'll be hunting for some eggs!

I'm doubly happy because my husband came home last night after three consecutive weeks of being on the road (he was home for the weekends).  When he's out of town, it's me, me, and me taking care of little K.  Fortunately, K's an angel most of the time...
My son's daycare is closed today so I'll be spending the entire day with him.  I've got lots of fun activities scheduled, including a visit to where papa works.  The rest of the day is...flexible...so I won't say where we're going besides papa's office!  The day may include the zoo or a playground or something outdoorsy.  When the husband gets off of work, we'll probably enjoy a night out instead of cooking at home.

In the latest What I Ate Wednesday post, I shared a snapshot of a simple kale salad with almonds and cranberries.  For those interested, here's the recipe!

Simple Sweet Kale Salad with Cranberries & Almonds


Simple Sweet Kale Salad with Cranberries & Almonds
Servings: 3-6 side salads, depending on how big your bunch of kale is
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 large bunch kale
  • 3 Tbsp golden balsamic vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1.5 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1/4 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • Pinch red pepper flakes (more if you like heat)
  • 1/4 cup whole raw almonds (not roasted or salted)
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
Instructions
  1. Toast the almonds: place almonds in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan regularly to avoid burning the nuts.  Heat nuts until browned and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes.  Once toasted, remove the pan from heat and allow to cool.
  2. Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together white balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, orange juice, honey, minced garlic clove, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
  3. Prepare the kale: rinse kale leaves in cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towel or kitchen towel.  Remove tough stems and tear leaves into bite size pieces.  If necessary, run through salad spinner to remove any remaining moisture.  Leaves should be dry before adding the dressing.
  4. Dress the kale: place kale in bowl and pour about half of the dressing over the kale.  I like to massage the dressing into the kale to make sure the flavor gets in there.  If possible, let kale sit for 10-15 minutes to really get the flavor in there.
  5. Prepare the salad: give the almonds a rough chop.  Combine kale, almonds, and dried cranberries, add more dressing if needed.  Add additional salt and pepper if desired.

Do you like kale?  How do you prefer to eat it?

8 comments:

  1. Loooooveee it! We may be stopping by my in laws this weekend, and I've heard they have some home grown kale. I may have to snag some. And go pick up some cranberries. I'm so excited to try this!
    Pinning and sharing on google + (btw- I noticed my son pressed a few buttons on my phone, so I'm not sure, but he may have tried to send you a message or do something in google hangouts so I'm sorry if he did!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Yuliya you and your son are too funny. I hope the kale salad is a winner with your in-laws and your husband or I may have to make up for it with another recipe.

      P.S. I think it is the toasted almonds and the sweetness of the dried cranberries that really make this simple salad shine.

      Delete
  2. Delicious! And the best part is that except for the kale, I always have these ingredients on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear! Maybe you've already made a variation on this salad before?

      Delete
  3. The salad does look really yummy - thanks for the recipe. You picture is beautiful today :) Yaaa for hubby time. I like Kale raw cut up in everything- pierogies, egg salad, Boca patties...it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to like kale...I wasn't too crazy about the flavor.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ahah -- I was sure others liked this combo!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...