Friday, April 25, 2014

The Kindness of Strangers


Yesterday was a travel day!  My son and I packed ourselves off to the Denver International Airport and headed west to California.

Thank goodness for strangers.  I don't think I really cared much before I became a mother, but now that I travel alot with my toddler, I love that I can always count on the generosity and assistance of people I don't know to help my son and I when we are traveling.  Whether it getting from long term parking to the airport or on the plane, I am always amazed at the goodness of people.


I don't know if anyone else agrees with this, but I've definitely noticed the level of generosity is definitely higher in some parts of the country than others.  I don't think about this in terms of this state has ruder people necessarily, but more on the positive side, such as people from this region or that are friendlier or more helpful.  People, a smile goes a long way!

So if you're traveling this weekend or just amongst strangers, and you see someone having a tough day, whether they are a mother or just a lone traveler, give 'em a big smile and if they look like they need help, ask them if they'd like a hand.  Even if they say no, I'm sure they'll appreciate that you made the offer.


My travel companion.  I try to travel simple... but that suitcase is 40 pounds!!

Lunch packed for the travel day: apple, herbed hummus, almonds, sweet potato black bean burger with brown rice & hummus (leftovers), baby carrots.  Not shown: two hard-boiled eggs and more food for the kiddo.
So glad I packed the baby carrots.  Guess who ate them all?





9 comments:

  1. Oh, traveling with a toddler!! The kindness of strangers is key, especially when traveling alone with a kid. Glad people were nice to you. And bringing your own food is also key! Airport food is abysmal, at best, especially if you're following any sort of specific way of eating.

    Enjoy San Francisco! My favorite city in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love San Francisco. It's almost impossible to put into words.

      Delete
  2. Your little guy is so cute!! Have a great trip :) I never traveled on a plane when my son was that young - I am sure it seems overwhelming at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, having a cute kid helps, I'm sure. We've done so much traveling together and it is SO much easier now that he is a little more self-sufficient!

      Delete
  3. I haven't done a lot of traveling with my toddler yet - I'm scared!!! But you're right, the kindness of strangers is always a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever do go get out there with toddler, just know you'll be in good company. Lots of people do air travel with their young ones these days.

      Delete
  4. Your travel companion is super cute! I hope you guys have a blast on your trip! Your travel meals also look super tasty!

    I definitely agree about the kindness of strangers. In Ukraine/Russia, people tend to be very helpful if you are traveling with a child, are pregnant, elderly, or just struggling. I've had men offer to take my suitcases for me wherever they need to go or just stand up for me in trams (when I was pregnant).

    In the US, I've had really mixed experiences. I flew once to the States when I was pregnant and actually asked a flight attendant to help me put something in the overhead compartment. It wasn't too heavy, but I'm only 5 feet 1 inch tall, so it's hard to reach for me even when I'm not pregnant. He was really unhappy that I needed help and was very rude about it (even though he did do it)! I was a bit taken aback, really. In the Netherlands, people don't usually offer to help, but will gladly do it if you ask. I usually travel with train here though, and I find train 'culture' to be incredibly frustrating and pushy here. Everywhere is different I guess!

    Wow! Sorry for such a long comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised at your US experience. I've had super great flight experiences (once a flight attended offered to take my son - at 6 months - for a 20 minute walk so that I could eat my lunch in peace during a five hour flight). I've also had really awful flight experiences...we had to do a really late flight once and we had seats near the galley where the attendants congregate during their break and they were talking incredibly loud. My husband, son, and I got NO sleep during that six hour flight.

      Delete
    2. I guess it's hard to make generalizations about the US - as experiences can be so different! That's awesome that you got to eat in the flight. I sometimes find myself struggling to find time to eat in peace during the day even at home, let alone on a plane with a small child!

      That second flight sounds terrible!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...