Sunday, April 20, 2014

Weekly Recap & Meal Planning (April 20-26)


Ahhhh, Sunday!  What will you be doing this lovely Easter Sunday?

We're planning to keep it simple and relaxing.  A little breakfast at home and then maybe an outing somewhere... we're thinking a bike ride, but we'll see if we even make it that far.

The past week has been a good week; workouts started out strong and my funk with cooking seems to be on the mend (see pictures above which include some of the meals we made at home).  But by midweek, my progress with my running (I'm trying to increase my mileage) stalled a bit.  I was feeling a bit sluggish on Thursday and not up for running at all, so I decided to go for a good long walk and took Friday as a rest day.  Every day is a new beginning!


Workouts for Week of 4/13-4/19
This week I tried running without MapMyRun which was very freeing!
S: rest day!
M: Pure Barre, spin bike for 65 minutes
T: Ran 5 miles, walked 2 miles
W: Ran 4.25 miles
R: Walked 7 miles
F: rest day!
S: spin bike, 1 hour (intervals and just riding)

Meal Plan for April 20-April 26
I'm participating in a Spring Reset Challenge with Laura from Mommy, Run Fast!  This is a chance to "reset" myself nutritionally.  I've been really happy with my new Paleo way of eating, but I want to explore nutrition further, so during the next three weeks, I may be eating foods that are NOT Paleo compliant, which is fine with me.  It's part of my exploration on how best to fuel my body.

The challenge starts on Monday, thankfully, so I get to enjoy "regular" meals through the rest of today (what is regular anyway?).

Rules for week one: no wheat, no processed food, no cow's milk, no meat, and no sugar.  It's the last two items on this list that I'm nervous about.  Fortunately, Laura provided us all with a sample meal plan, so here are a few ideas I have for the week ahead.  The rules change slightly in weeks 2 and 3, so I'll keep you updated on that with next week's meal planning.

Breakfast
- My usual egg scramble with several of the following: coconut oil, garlic/shallot, red bell pepper, kale/spinach, tomato, mushroom, broccoli, avocado (no meat this week!)
- Oatmeal with berries, chia, and flaxseed*
- Baked eggs
- Hard boiled eggs and kale smoothie

Lunch & Dinner
Mushroom, spinach, quinoa bowl
Salad with chickpeas, sunflower seeds with lemon Tahini dressing*
Baked/grilled fish with black bean avocado salad
Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro Avocado Cream*
Steamed veggies, brown rice, and gado gado sauce*
Tuna or salmon avocado salad over greens

Snacks & Treats
Veggies with hummus or guacamole
Raw almonds
Apples with Almond Butter

*These are all foods/recipes I'll be trying for the first time!

Do you have any new/first-time meals planned for the week ahead?  Have you ever done a nutritional reset or other type of nutritional challenge to improve your health?

10 comments:

  1. Your meals sound really nice! I really agree that everyday is a new day. I'm trying to tell myself that when it comes to the convenience meals we ate/will be eating this week - tomorrow will be better haha.

    I'll be trying your kale salad for the first time this week :) Btw- I linked to your salad recipe in my meal plan post. I hope you don't mind!

    Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuliya, no problem linking to my salad recipe... And thanks for the luck! I'm looking forward to trying some new ways of eating...

      Delete
  2. I love love trying new recipes! Your menu looks so good. You're going to feel refreshed and energized with the Spring Reset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I hope I feel energized with this new way of eating!

      Delete
  3. I am on vacation this week so I hope to try a couple new recipes but I don't plan too far ahead... so we'll see what happens ! The only nutritional reset I have done was the 21 Day Sugar Detox, and it was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about the 21 Day Sugar Detox. Let's see if my nutritional reset accomplishes the same goal!

      Delete
  4. The meals sound yummy! I did a Herbalife protein challenge a few years ago and it really helped me to start working on building some muscle. I use to cardio myself to death and I am a vegetation so getting enough protein was a challenge for me. Since then I started using a vegan raw protein- I mix with blackberries/blueberries and I really like it...except when I get to lazy to continually wash the blender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a protein powder person, so I had to do some research to better understand which plant-based protein powder to buy. i'm off to the store today to get some for my morning smoothies!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm glad, too! So far, breakfast was easy. Now, onto lunch!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...