Wednesday, April 16, 2014

WIAW #7: More Paleo Eats


I'm linking up once again with Jenn at Peas and Crayons to share my eats!  This week, I'm going to share what I ate on Sunday.  I've been in a little funk with cooking... I haven't been in the mood to cook, which is awful because I don't really see eating out as a better option.  Don't get me wrong, I love eating out now and again, but it's really hard to eat healthy and eat Paleo if you have to dine out all the time.

So last Saturday afternoon, I told myself to sit down and plan three square meals for Sunday.  Just plan meals for one day, I promised myself.  Besides, a snowstorm was predicted to descend upon Denver on Sunday and I didn't want to be making any runs off to the grocery store unless absolutely necessary.


Breakfast
Six egg frittata with mushrooms, onion, bacon, red bell pepper, tomatoes and chives.  The secret ingredient?  Coconut milk.  I always put milk in my scrambles and frittatas and since going paleo, I've swapped out my cow's milk for coconut milk or almond milk.  Coconut milk for sure in this frittata.  We also had coffee (with almond milk) and some paleo waffles (made with coconut flour and macadamia nuts), both of which I forgot to take a picture of before they were consumed.

Lunch
The supposed snowstorm had not started by mid-morning, so after breakfast we headed out for errands...and by the time lunch came around, we were far enough from home that we decided to eat out at ModMarket, which is one of my healthy options when it comes to dining out.  The food is nothing fancy, but they have great salads, and there's pizza for my husband and toddler.  I had the Farmer's Market salad: mixed greens, roasted chicken, grapes, almonds, feta cheese, corn, and a champagne vinaigrette dressing.  The corn & feta cheese are not Paleo, but I didn't sweat it.  And the lunch I originally had planned?  That was pushed to dinner for Monday night...

Afternoon Nibbles
I always get a case of the snackies around 4pm, no matter what I eat for breakfast and lunch.  I think it's a habit thing.  So I had a good handful of raw almonds.  But I was still hungry at 5pm, so I also made a small Caeser salad with some avocado and bacon:

Dinner
My husband was all tangled up in taxes so dinner was a little later than we had planned.  We try to cook together as often as possible, but Sunday night, I had to fly solo.  I made a kale salad with a citrusy vinaigrette topped with almonds and dried cranberries.  I served that salad up with a strip steak and some roasted broccoli.  A lot of green on that plate, and not a very colorful plate at that, but it sure was tasty!  My husband is already begging for a repeat of the kale salad.  I might have to share the recipe...


Do you ever get in a funk with cooking meals at home?  What do you do?

15 comments:

  1. The cranberry almond looks so yummy right now :) I am always in a funk when it comes to cooking, just not my thing lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that cooking is not everyone's thing. Now that I've got a little toddler, my life has switched from 80% eating out to 80% eating in (and some weeks, 95% eating in!).

      Delete
  2. The fritata and salad both look amazing. I feel like I get in a funk with cooking the sames things over and over. I usually check out sites like eatingwell.com and look in my random cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frittatas are fun (and easy to make, especially if you have a dutch oven or an iron skillet). I need to get back to checking out food sites (I like eatingwell.com too!) and that list of bookmarked recipes...that I have...somewhere!

      Delete
  3. That frittata looks amazing! I ran out of spinach so it looks like I won't be making any smoothies tomorrow, but your frittata looks super tasty :) And oh my gosh, pleeaaase share that kale salad recipe. I'm determined to prove to my hubby that kale is yummy, and it just looks so delicious. Thanks for yet again being my paleo inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? No spinach? I don't know what I would do if my kitchen was void of spinach!! And yes, I will get to it on that kale salad recipe. It is super delicious...and it might turn your hubby onto kale too!

      Delete
    2. I know! It's a tragedy. Tomorrow is market day though, so I'm definitely going to pick some up and all will be well with the world again.

      I'm looking forward to your recipe!

      Delete
  4. Begging for a repeat of the kale salad! OMG Now I must try this kale salad - ASAP! ;) And an afternoon nibble of bacon and avocado is a dream come true for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, a repeat of the kale salad will be here soon in the form of a recipe.

      Delete
  5. I love the slice tomatoes in the frittata... so pretty.

    How did the coconut milk affect the taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tomatoes on the frittata were almost too pretty to cut up. I only added a quarter cup of coconut milk to the six eggs, so it didn't really affect the taste of the frittata.

      Delete
  6. You're lunch salad looks soooo good! It's always great when you can find a place that makes a great salad and also makes great food for toddlers and husbands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, right? There are so many family friendly places in Colorado I love it! I can't say I always felt the same about some restaurants in San Francisco (where we used to live).

      Delete
  7. If I get in a funk I go on line or dig out some of my favorite recipes. This past weekend we made crepes, it had been a long time and the kids love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for the Internet, right? I also like to go online. Yay for Pinterest!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...