Wednesday, April 23, 2014

WIAW #8: Nutritional Reset


I'm sure for some of you, with Easter just behind us, a photo of a hard-boiled egg is the last thing you want to look at right now.  But I have to assure you, this hard-boiled egg is no ordinary hard-boiled egg.  It's got deliciousness on top of it.  But more about that later.

I'm linking up again with Jenn at Peas and Crayons for one of the biggest link-up parties I know!  And I'm mixing it up again!  Let's just look at my last couple of What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) posts:
Are you noticing a trend?  Paleo, paleo, paleo...


Yeah, so I've been on this Paleo lifestyle / way of eating since February of this year and now I'm throwing you all off by doing a Spring Reset Challenge with Laura from Mommy Run Fast!

The Spring Reset Challenge is a nutritional reset.  As Laura explains at the spring reset challenge link above, it's a whole foods detox and the timing (spring) is aligned with our bodies natural desire to follow the seasons.  We're getting ready of all the impact of eating winter foods.   What I like about this reset is it is a group event and we all keep in touch using social media.  The reset started Monday and runs until Mother's Day.

We are scheduled for twenty-one (count 'em!) lovely days of eating clean.  I'll warn you now, it's not Paleo.  So for the next three weeks, I'm deviating (slightly) from my Paleo lifestyle.  At the end of the three weeks, I'll decide if I will go back to the Paleo way of eating or if I'll make some adaptations.  I don't think I'll go vegetarian or vegan or anything, but while I was eating Paleo, I did make concessions, like occasional dairy, so I could make additional changes to my diet.

For week one of the spring reset challenge, we've been asked to not eat processed food, wheat, cow's milk, meat (fish is allowed), or sugar.  So this week at WIAW, I am sharing What I Ate Wednesday Monday.  It was a BIG day and included a very important trip to the grocery store to get a few things that I didn't already have in my house....


Breakfast: spinach & mushroom omelette (no cheese), orange slices, and coffee with almond milk (instead of cream)

Lunch: mixed greens with chickpeas and a lovely lemon-tahini dressing

Afternoon snack: apple slices with almond butter

Dinner: buddha bowl (red leaf lettuce, quinoa, sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, spinach, garlic, and some scallions).  To finish, we also had some hummus with celery!

How the first day went: not bad!  I felt light...maybe a little too light, which is why I had to make that hummus to fill me up after dinner.  Which was great, because the hummus ended up as the topper on my hard-boiled eggs on Tuesday!

Which brings me back to where I started -- those hard boiled eggs -- are topped with my favorite hummus in the world.  I discovered this hummus while dining at True Food Kitchen here in Denver and was so excited when I found the recipe available online.  If you are a hummus lover, I highly recommend it!

Do you have a favorite vegetarian dish?  I'd love it if you could share it!  Only five more days until I can have meat again!!



10 comments:

  1. Ah, I remember why I didn't do the challenge - I couldn't handle cutting out the meat right now! That would be really hard at the moment. I have no idea what I would do for dinner, especially because Hubby isn't a fan of fish. However, what I'm currently loving is tuna salad with spinach, arugula, a scallion, cherry tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, s & p to taste, and some lemon juice. Super easy but also very tasty.

    Anyway, your meal look so awesome! I wish I ate at your house on Monday :) Does your son eat the same meals as you? Will he eat leafy greens in leaf form?

    Also, thanks for sharing that hummus recipe. I'm going to save it for later as those eggs look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with men not liking fish? I've been trying to get my husband to eat more salmon with me. He'll eat the salmon but admit he isn't crazy about the taste, so I eat most of my salmon for lunch.

      Funny you should mention tuna salad. I used to hate salad (a childhood thing) but this week, I've had it twice now on top of mixed greens tossed with a little olive oil & lemon juice, salt & pepper, and yum! Easy peasy, I agree. I'll try it with the cherry tomatoes and scallions...

      My son does not eat the same meals as me. He will not eat anything green, so I have to hide it in his smoothies. :-)

      Delete
  2. That hummus looks great!!! We love homemade black bean burgers for a vegetarian dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie if you have a black bean burger recipe you'd be willing to share, I'm looking to branch out!

      Delete
  3. Delicious looking day! Especially those eggs - I can never get boiled eggs right! Not sure if I could give up my beloved meat for that long though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely an egg fan. Two eggs in the morning, any which way (scrambled, fried, hard boiled or poached) with some veggies and I'm guaranteed to to be full 'til lunchtime!

      Delete
  4. That hummus looks delicious!

    I make a brown rice (could sub quinoa) and veggie cold "salad. I put in edamame, roasted corn, bell peppers, onions and cilantro and a little lime juice for brigtness. It's light, refreshing, delicious...and best of all filling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, that sounds delicious (and more importantly easy to make). I am a huge brown rice fan, so I will give this a try! Thanks for sharing...

      Delete
  5. The challenge sounds interesting, but I'm not at all surprised you were hungry at the end of the day... not the greatest sources of protein since you couldn't have meat & not all that much fat. If I were you, I'd have already clawed someone's eyes out. LOL I have no idea how I made it as a vegetarian & low-fat type foodie for a year - what was I thinking?? Good luck! Not too much longer until you can have some meat again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on my protein sources. The best part is it's Friday (day 5) and I'm not missing chicken or beef... yet. Two more days and then I can reintroduce these things!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...