Wednesday, April 30, 2014

WIAW #9: San Francisco Edition!


My What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) travel series continues!  For all you travel lovers who may have missed it, here are my eats from a recent trip to Portland (Oregon, not Maine).  Today I am sharing my eats from this past weekend's trip to San Francisco.

What made this weekend extra special is that we were toddler-free!  My sister and brother offered to watch our little boy and we were quick to take them up on that offer!  Exploring San Francisco without kids is like being a kid in the candy store.  So much to do and so many great places to eat.  Where do I start?

A small monkey wrench with our weekend: my three week nutritional reset.  This made the getaway weekend a bit challenging (on the eating front), but I made a commitment to stick to the rules while living it up in San Francisco.  The nutritional reset rules for week one:
  • No processed food
  • No wheat
  • No sugar
  • No cow's milk
  • No meat (I found out on day five that we could reintroduce meat.  Yay!
Friday, 7pm: First Night on the Town
To keep our evening simple, we decided to have dinner at the hotel.  Michael Mina's Bourbon Steak is a fabulous little restaurant with an equally awesome bar area and my husband and I are totally bar people.  We had a lovely dinner of steak tartare (my first animal protein since Sunday!), kale salad (uh-mazing!), and a rib eye steak which I forgot to photograph.  And yes, that is a french fry appetizer, which was sent compliments of the kitchen.  The fries were served up in three different flavors with three different dipping sauces.  We really tried to restrain ourselves and managed to NOT finish the fries.  No dessert that night, and we didn't miss it.  Photos, L to R: the bar; steak tartare preparation begins; the french fry trio; kale salad deliciousness!

Saturday, 8am: Hello, Sunshine!
After the rain and cold of Friday afternoon and evening, I was more than excited when I woke up and saw that it was sunny outside.  My husband had already taken off for his 20-mile training run (he's running a marathon in mid-May), so I headed out solo.  The San Francisco Ferry Building has a farmer's market every Saturday morning and I wanted to get there before it got crowded.  Happy that my nutritional reset rules allow meat again, I decided to have some Korean "tacos" from the Namu Street Food tent.  I also stopped by SightGlass coffee for a soy latte.  Photos, L to R: view of the Ferry Building clock tower from the pier; description of the real Korean "tacos"; the Korean tacos themselves; a lovely cup of SightGlass coffee.

Saturday, 12:30pm: Vegetarian Eats
After a lovely morning walking along the Embarcadero, taking photos, and checking out all the wonderful sights along the water, I met back up with my husband at the hotel around 11:30am.  After a shower and a change of clothes, we were ready to head out for lunch!  I made reservations for one the top vegetarian restaurants in San Francisco, Greens, which was actually opened by the famous Deborah Madison.  Not only does the restaurant serve some of the most delicious food I've ever had (vegetarian or not), it has amazing views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the bay.  Photos, L to R: the entrance to Greens; my lunch (Pinnacles scramble); my husband's lunch (mushroom panzanella); my husband's dessert (buttermilk biscuits with butter and strawberry jam).

Saturday, 6:45pm: Bar Agricole
We spent the afternoon walking to all our favorite places by the water: Fort MasonChrissy Field, Little Italy, and Chinatown.  All in all, we covered about ten miles by foot!

After all that eating, we were more than ready for dinner.  We knew we wanted to take advantage of not having to bring a toddler to dinner, so we consulted a friend in the area and asked her to recommend a "hip, happening" place and she pointed us to Bar Agricole.  We were not disappointed.  The waiter really knew the food and answered all our questions (What's brandade? Where is the cheese sourced from? What is farinata?).  We loved every dish we ordered.  We also felt like we had found THE San Francisco dining scene.  It was a good mixture of techie yuppies, older professionals, and a little bit of the gay scene.  It was a perfect meal to end a perfect day.  Photos, L to R: the entrance to Bar Agricole; appetizers: olive bowl, Wild Weide cheese served with almonds & honey and a delicious date, and bread for my husband; halibut brandade with fava beans and little lettuces; my dinner (roast pork loin and shoulder with little turnips).

If you're interested in seeing more eats, check out all the great link-ups at Jenn's awesome blog, Peas and Crayons.

What is your favorite city to eat in?  Have you ever traveled for food?

13 comments:

  1. Mmm, Korean Tacos... sounds fantastic! I've always wanted to visit San Francisco... maybe one day. I'm from the Midwest, and the best travel food I had was on Mackinaw Island. We stayed at the oldest hotel on the island, and their restaurant served incredible food! My husband and I still talk about that meal 3 years later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaclyn, those are the best meals... the ones you talk about years later. My husband and I have visited San Francisco so many times that, when hunting for a new place to eat, we'll come across one and say to each other, haven't we eaten there already? And we can't remember for the life of us what we ate there.

      Delete
  2. I'm seriously impressed that you stuck with you nutrition reset on Vacation! I don't think I've ever NOT finished my french fries :) I'm taking notes on the post for my upcoming trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want more tips or have questions about what to see in San Francisco, you can email me at supersmartmama@gmail.com. I lived in the Bay Area most my life and never get tired of visiting San Francisco!!

      Delete
  3. Yum, those tacos look delicious! I just love the selection of restaurants in SF! Ok, I just plain 'ol LOVE SF!!! Looks like a fun time & a tasty one too! I can't wait until I get to go in August!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to have so much fun! August (esp late August) is a great time to go as it is finally warming up there.

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid I don't have the ability to have a resist food on on vacation - well done you! Gotta love local recommendations when you travel - they always work out the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle - I had been mentally preparing myself for eating healthy while on this vacation. I kept telling myself, the nutritional reset is only three weeks of my life. Gotta make it work!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your meals all sound delicious! I also agree with everyone - you are amazing for sticking with the nutritional reset. I am pretty positive that I would be eating everything and anything if I was on holiday ;) and the kale salad you show reminds me that I have yet to make your kale salad! I am getting some this weekend and making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet another kale salad recipe if you are interested in trying a different one. Laura from Mommy Run Fast posted it on our food plan for week 2 of the nutritional reset: http://mariamarlowe.com/2013/06/best-kale-salad/

      Delete
    2. ooh! I generally love any kale recipe, thanks! I'm still really looking forward to trying yours, but I haven't been able to find any fresh kale lately. My in laws did have some, but they froze it, and that would be icky in a salad. I'm trying a different market tomorrow, so hopefully I can get some!

      Hope you are having a great time in San Francisco!

      Delete
  6. Greens sounds like heaven to me :) What a fun trip! It's always nice to have a break and just enjoy some hubby time. I am impressed by all the things you tried. I am always going for something I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend Greens HIGHLY if you ever visit San Francisco. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...