Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A New Beauty Bar In Town

This past Friday, I decided to treat myself to a little pampering.  It's not often that I go out for beauty treatments besides my regular haircut every 8-10 weeks, but I do like to sit down and get a pedicure every once in a while.  When I lived in San Diego (where it is summer about 10 months out of the year) I used to get a pedicure practically every 3-4 weeks.  These days, I'm lucky if I remember to get a pedicure at least twice during the summer (summer only lasts about 4-5 months now that I live in Denver).

Today I'm linking up with Becky from Olives n Wine and her weekly Treat Yourself Tuesday.

A new beauty "bar" opened up in my neighborhood at the start of this year.  I live about 15 miles from downtown and I don't think there are any other beauty bars in my neighborhood.  I can't believe it's taken me this long to get myself over to Ella Bliss to check it out.



When you go the Ella Bliss Beauty Bar website, their slogan says, "Not a spa, not a salon, a way of life."  Seeing this on their site made me worry I was going to get a big sales pitch to sign up for a membership.  But, I decided to give it a try anyway, and made my appointment through their website (I love the convenience of being able to book my own appointments online).

When I arrived, I was offered a complimentary drink.  Glass of wine?  Red or white?  I decided I would stick to water but liked the idea that the next time I went with a friend or didn't have to drive immediately after my beauty treatments, I could have wine, beer, or a cocktail.  For those who really want to party it up, additional drinks could be purchased:

Ella Bliss offers blowouts, updos, makeup services, massages, facials, and manicures and pedicures.  I decided to keep it simple and opted for a pedicure.  I was seated in one of these lovely (and comfortable chairs):

The woman who did my pedicure was professional and friendly, but what really made the experience, surprisingly, was the client who sat next to me.  She was a regular, and the nicest person.  We ended up chatting the entire time we sat next to each other getting our pedicures.  In the end, I loved my blue toes:

When my toes were nice & dry, I pulled off the toe separators and went to pay.  No hard push to sign up for the membership, just a casual, "Would you be interested in signing up for our monthly membership?"  I asked for a brochure so I could think about it, paid for my services, and left relaxed and happy.

Have you ever been to a beauty bar?  Do you have a favorite beauty treatment?  Do you go out regularly to get pampered?

9 comments:

  1. We recently had a beauty bar open in KC. I was nervous about checking it out because I know I would get sucked into a membership! After your review, I think I will pop over next time I need something. I love getting manicures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get manicures regularly, it might be worth it to get a membership...I guess it all depends on price and how often you would go...

      Delete
  2. I feel like a lot of places now are starting to offer complimentary drinks during service. I never do on my own but a group of my friends and I did brunch and pedicures and the champagne was a fun touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is something about having some bubbly when you're out with girlfriends!

      Delete
  3. The blue toes are cute :) I try to get pedicures at least once a month in the summer, but no place fancy. I like my guy though, he knows I run and massages my calves. I tell my hubby I feel like I am cheating I enjoy it so much lol Pedicures are my favorite pampering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very funny. The massage part of the pedicure is one of my favorite reasons for a pedicure. Unfortunately, I haven't found a new pedicure person here in Denver that also gives good massages. When I was training for marathons, I used to treat myself to full body massages as the long run mileage started to climb past 13-14 miles... I miss those days!

      Delete
  4. I am loving the blue toes! I'm glad it was such a relaxing experience, with no pushy sales people. I haven't been to get a pedicure in a shamefully long time ... because it tickles too much!! Last time was for my sister's wedding and the poor girl working on my (troll-ish) feet was definitely getting annoyed with me :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I have that problem, too, although it sounds like I'm not nearly as ticklish as you. I only get ticklish with certain parts of my feet.

      Delete
  5. Love the color! So pretty! My favorite beauty treatments are definitely pedicure!! But as I've been a student pretty much all my life and going back to school in September, it's not something wise to spend money on :( But I'm lucky enough to have a boyfriend who owns a fitness centre, so I get massages/physical therapy treatments for free :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...