Friday, May 16, 2014

A Race After Four Years

Start wave for the 4.8 mile field
The last race I ran was in August 2010.  The Chicago Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon.  So you can bet I was super excited when I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for my first race in almost four years.

Race: Mother's Day Race
Date: Saturday, May 10, 2014
Distance: 4.8 miles

Back in February, I declared that I had given up running.  After several attempts to get back into running after having my son back in 2011, I finally threw in the towel and decided running was just not in the cards for me.

What changed?  Well, I kept with the walking and eventually built up some mileage.  The weather started to get better.  And, I discovered that eating the Paleo way helped me lose enough weight that I was encouraged to try running again.

So, in mid-April I signed up for this Mother's Day race.  There were three distances: 5K, 5 miles, and half marathon.  I had no trouble choosing the 5 mile race.  It was a great race: well organized, very small, and a relaxed start time (8am!).  There were only 27 people in the field for the 4.8 miles, so there were no issues with getting off the start line.  I found it pretty refreshing, actually.


The entire course ran parallel to a reservoir, so we had beautiful views through the entire run.  It was a nice rolling course, and it was 20% paved, 80% trails.  The two weeks prior to the race, I didn't get much running in due to all the travel, so I went into the race telling myself that if I needed to walk parts of the race, there was nothing wrong with that.

There's something to be said about race-day endorphins.  I ran the entire thing (with the exception of the moments I slowed down to take photos).  And here's the craziest part: I finished third in my age group.  I'm not a fast runner.  I just lucked out.  I finished third, out of a grand total of six people in my age group, all women.  It may never happen again, so I'm just going to enjoy it.
The course was mostly on trails and I loved it.
Once I saw this sign, the race was easy going the rest of the way.
A medal for finishing.  And a 3rd place medal for my age group.
  What's the longest you've ever gone between races?

15 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! Great job on the 3rd place finish and great job on completing the race!!! I took a lot of time off after my marathon in 2008. I would do shorter distance, but it took a few years before I got back into halfs again. You kicked booty in your first run back! I hope you sign up for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! I do hope to sign up for more races!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing third!! That's awesome regardless of how many people were in it! I'm also completely impressed that you ran the entire thing! You've been my healthy lifestyle inspiration since I've started reading your blog, and yet again, you're giving me a push to really get my tush off of the couch and outside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that I am an inspiration to your healthy lifestyle. It's been great comparing notes on the Paleo eating...

      Delete
  3. Awesome job!!! Congratulations! At the end of this month I'm doing my first race since getting pregnant in 2011...should be interesting, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm in good company! Good luck with your first race in a while!

      Delete
  4. Whoa great job! I am not a runner. I'm actually convinced I'm the only healthy living blogger that doesn't run. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK, you seem to eat pretty healthy -- and I'm sure your other forms of fitness are what you keep you in just as good shape as a runner.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations. It's great you're getting back into running, and to finish third in your first race in years. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You did amazing :) I love the bling you received. I finished 3rd in my age group once, celebrate it! I love the looks of the trail, what a wonderful run to come back with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome!! Congratulations :D You have totally just motivated me to get my butt to the gym today!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...