Friday, May 9, 2014

Nutritional Reset - Week 2 Recap

Three weeks without processed food, sugar, or wheat.  No meat or cow's milk for the first week.  How hard could it be?

I originally signed up with Laura from Mommy, Run Fast! and her three week Spring Challenge: a nutritional "reset" whose rules reflected the end of winter and the start of a new year with the arrival of spring.  When I saw that the rules weren't too different from my modified Paleo lifestyle (I've been following Paleo since February of this year), I figured it couldn't be too hard.

The other reason I decided to do Laura's Spring Challenge was that I needed a program to help me kick my sugar habit.  Even with my Paleo lifestyle, I started allowing an occasional piece of dark chocolate every other night.  Then the occasional piece of chocolate became an every-night-kind-of-habit.  Next I started adding in Starbucks here and there, and before I knew it, I was having a Starbucks mocha or hot chocolate 3-4 times a week, which is alot of sugar when you're supposed to be eating Paleo.

If you've been following me on my nutritional reset journey, you know that I proudly avoided ALL sweeteners, natural or processed for all of Week 1 of the nutritional reset.  I managed to avoid my favorite sweet (dark chocolate) by snacking on apples with almond butter as well as a new discovery: Peanut Butter Cookie Larabars.

I think you can tell where this is leading....

Day 9: Tuesday
After a long weekend away, it was nice to be back home.  I spent Tuesday cooking.  I also wanted to give vegetarianism another try.  So I made a quinoa veggie salad for lunch and and steamed veggies over brown rice with a gado gado sauce (per a recipe provided by Laura).

Day 10: Wednesday
 Wednesday was a pretty good day.  Breakfast was hard-boiled eggs with brown rice and some gado gado sauce (not so good).  I made up for that meal by having a banana-mango smoothie with some protein powder and chia seeds.  Lunch was a broccoli tofu stir fry served over brown rice.  By mid afternoon, I knew that I could not continue with the vegetarian meals, so for dinner I served up meatballs with a delicious kale salad.

Day 11: Thursday
Thursday started out well.  I went back to my favorite standby: baby spinach & mushroom omelet, no cheese.  Lunch was leftover quinoa veggie salad from Tuesday.  For dinner, I was tired of cooking and I wanted a night away from the kitchen.  So we went out dinner, and all was fine, I had roasted chicken with steamed veggies and brown rice.  And then this happened:
Mocha mud pie
I don't know what to say. I think the trouble started on Wednesday night when I started thinking about making a run out to my local Cheesecake Factory for my favorite flavor: the chocolate mousse cheesecake.  I didn't get any cheesecake on Wednesday, but I was thinking about it all evening while I snacked on a few roasted almonds and a peanut butter cookie Larabar.

Day 12: Friday
Yes, that is a REAL pregnancy test.  After dinner (and the mud pie) on Thursday night, I looked at my calendar and realized that I had missed my period by two weeksDon't ask me how I missed this very important detail, considering we have been working on getting pregnant since last summer.  I think I was distracted by the nutritional reset and trying to stick to it!

You bet I sent the husband back out that night to buy a pregnancy test, and took it first thing Friday morning.  We are somewhere between 3-5 weeks pregnant according to ovulation/pregnancy calendars.  We've been trying to get pregnant since last summer, and I've miscarried twice since then, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we stay pregnant this time!!!

And now, the big decision: what to do about the nutritional reset?

Days 13 & 14: Saturday & Sunday
I did my best to continue eating per the rules the rest of Friday.  We had to fly out to Maine Friday evening, and I decided during our flight East, that I would relax the rules of the nutritional reset for the weekend, and then decided what to do about week 3 (the last week) which started on Monday (May 5).

Should I "quit" the nutritional reset?  Should I go back to Paleo?  If so, how strictly should I follow Paleo?  

IRelaxing the rules for the weekend allowed me to enjoy the wedding weekend.  I also ate alot of things I haven't eaten for almost ten day.  It was an interesting weekend, watching how my body reacted to reintroducing more sugar and in a few cases, some carbohydrates that didn't come from vegetables and fruits.

I shared some of my weekend eats at this recent What I Ate Wednesday and here are a couple more eats:


What would you do if you were in my situation?  Would you quit the nutritional reset in the last week of the challenge?  If you are a Paleo eater, how strict would you be with your Paleo eating if you knew you were pregnant?

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Congratulations! How exciting for you guys! Squeeeeee.

    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for sure. I know the miscarriage heartbreak too well, I hope this is your "sticky baby."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! (Good to see you back on the blogsphere!)

      Delete
  2. EEEEEKKK!! Congratulations!!!! I'm sending lots of sticky dust your way! That's wonderful :)

    And your eats look very tasty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh congratulations! My heart leapt when I saw that picture! (I feel like I know you in real life haha!)

    I would continue to eat clean but really listen to my body. I bet your body was wanting more carbs and/or calories - hence that beautiful pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I think we do know each other (to some degree). Math nerds unite!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!! My jaw literally dropped when I saw that test. I love how you just snuck it in the middle of your post. :) I'm very excited for you!
    I'm not the best one to give out diet advice during pregnancy. I tried to eat well during my pregnancies but nausea kept me out of the kitchen for a long time and we ended up eating out way too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grin* yeah, thanks for noticing how sneaky I was!! I wasn't ready to title my post "Pregnant!" because I don't want to jinx myself... so I buried it WAAAAY down there. If I'm still pregnant by week 12, maybe I'll make a more "official" announcement.

      Sorry to hear that your nausea was not so great with your pregnancies. I am hoping for a not-so-awful first trimester...that's where I had most of my morning sickness with my first child.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!! I was pregnant so long ago I don't think i am any good for advice expect that certain things seemed way more appealing than others so go with what makes you feel best and try to get a variety for the baby :) You do a really awesome job at mixing up your diet. I feel for you, I went through an ectopic pregnancy- I am sure it's hard to let yourself get too excited to soon. The pie looked so good lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! An ectopic pregnancy? My OB/GYN had a sneaking suspicion that an ectopic pregnancy might have been the cause of my miscarriage last October, but we never looked into it. I am not too excited yet, but I did want to share the news in relation to some of the cravings I've had in just the last week. The pull for sugar was so strong. And since then, some of my favorites foods have been somewhat nauseating. Sure signs of pregnancy!

      Delete
  6. Feed those cravings and enjoy the experience :) I am pulling for you to have a healthy happy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thanks so much for the love!

      Delete
  7. I know this is late, but congratulations!! I hope all goes well your for guys!
    I have absolutely no experience with pregnancy except seeing my sisters while they were pregnant, but I definitely think you should treat yourself and listen to what your body wants :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! It's never too late! I have a prenatal appointment in two weeks and if that goes well, maybe I'll make an official announcement!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...