Monday, May 19, 2014

Potty Training

I've neglected a key topic on my blog.

Motherhood.

If you're going to name your blog 'SuperSmartMama', people are going to expect that you're going to write about being a mother!

I've been so fixated this spring on working my fitness and nutrition, that I haven't spent much time blogging about THE most important job I have these days.  So I am going to start spending a little more time talking about motherhood.

And the topic this fine Monday is potty training.

My son will be three in a mere six weeks.  His Montessori school started his potty training back in March, but we've been terribly inconsistent with the training at home.  I could give you the excuses, but I won't.

The short story is that my husband and I are now SERIOUS about this training.  And it started this weekend.  We've had two potty stations in our house since March (one for the upstairs, and one for the downstairs), and we've been using pull ups, but we've been spotty about how consistently we have our son use the potties at home because we're rarely home on the weekends.  And we've been on three different trips out of town since the potty training started.


With no trips on the horizon, we are clamping down.  Last week, on the recommendation of his Montessori teacher, I went out and bought some training underwear.  They are lightly padded, but not meant to keep wetness in.

Saturday morning, I explained to my son that we were going to do the same potty training they do at school, but we would be sitting on the potty at home, and I pulled out the "big boy underwear".  No more diapers, I said.  You're a big boy now (a phrase that I use all the time with respect to other achievements he has made).

Since he had just woken up, after putting on the big boy underwear, I walked him to the bathroom, pulled the underwear down, and asked him to sit on the potty.  I pulled out an hourglass (the duration is 4 minutes) and told him that he had to sit on the potty until the sand ran out of the top half of the hourglass.  Then I proceeded to read one of the books I had stocked in the bathroom the night before.

After the four minutes were up, we checked for any business (none), pulled up his pants, washed our hands, and went downstairs for breakfast.

Every morning, my son likes to go in the pantry to "look" for what might pique his interest for breakfast.  It almost never changes, it's always waffles, so while he was in the closet, I got a waffle started in the toaster.  My son announces he'll "be right back" and closes the pantry door.  I figure he's going to come out in a minute and tell me about the dragon he just fought in the pantry, but instead he opens the door, and asks "What happened, mama?"  I sorta glance over, but not really, because he asks that question all the time, and half the time nothing has happened.  But he asks again so I come over and look and I see that he has peed and his underpants are wet and his legs are wet (thank goodness I didn't put any pants on that morning!).

It was a good first lesson.  I hope.

I'll let you know if we make any progress.  This weekend, I washed eleven pairs of "big boy underwear".  It's going to be a fun potty training season.

Do you have a toddler?  Have you begun potty training?  If you have older kids, do you remember your potty training experiences?


10 comments:

  1. Our daycare doesn't really push potty training until the kids are in preschool (which was nice for us, I know some schools require it before preschool). Honestly, I am so happy that we were able to wait. Potty training was a breeze for us because he was ready. He seriously pretty much potty trained himself. If you are able to wait a bit longer, I really do recommend it, though who knows - we could have been the exception and not the rule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard boys sometimes don't potty train until later than girls. I'm curious - how old was your son when he started his potty training?

      Delete
    2. He showed a little bit of interest on occasion before 3. If he asked, we would encourage him to use the potty but never force it. It was shortly after he turned 3 that he got really excited about underwear and such. It all happened so fast. He is just shy of 3.5 and has been fully potty trained for at least two months now, maybe three? Seeing the other kids going on the potty at school helped him so much - when he switched rooms he was the youngest again, so he caught on quickly after seeing all the older kids!

      Delete
  2. My son isn't at this stage yet (he'll be two in August) but I'm looking forward to reading more about what works and what doesn't for you. Sounds like he had a good first lesson in the pantry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lesson in the pantry was humorous, for sure. I think I might need to read a few books myself. I have to admit I haven't done too much reading because we've just started at home and we're not frustrated yet, but I suppose I shouldn't wait until that point!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry for the mess(es) that you had to clean up, but it is so cute that your son asked you what happened! I'm really selfishly excited for your updates on potty training because it's something we've recently (this weekend) started looking into, as well. My son woke up early on Saturday after I had gone downstairs. I couldn't find our monitor so I didn't know that he had actually woken up until I heard some playing. When I went upstairs, I found him completely nude, with a full diaper in the corner. He's started to really notice when his diaper is full or he has a poo, so I'm trying to read up on Montessori approaches - thus my selfish interest in your progress :) Anyhow, good luck with this! I think that all the washing will be totally worth the lack of diapers in the end. I hope, I hope, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hoping! My son went through a phase where he would wake up in the morning and take his diaper off and we'd find him in his crib, half naked, his onesie open or his bottoms off. I don't know if there's a Montessori-specific approach to potty training, so if you do find something about that, I'd be curious to know!

      Delete
    2. I had found a few blogs that had some interesting tips, but I haven't started really digging into it as my kiddo is still pretty young. I think I'll start really going at it again at the end of this week, and I can send you an email with the sites/books I find if you like.

      Delete
  4. We are just starting to potty train our 20-month-old. Hoping it will be a little easier this time since she has a big sister to imitate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom is the best job in the world :) I have one son who is 24 now. He wasn't completely potty trained until almost 4 ( just a few months shy) everyone worried me to death about it and sometimes it seemed questioned my mom skills, but when he got it he got it. I never went through a bunch of accidents, etc...I babysat a little boy too for along time and he was over 3 before he accomplished the task as well. Good luck with the process! It's a challenging one for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...