Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sleep Interrupted

I've been on the road the last couple of days and have been unable to get to a computer.

Here's where we've been the last few days:
Friday - Denver to Baltimore to Portland, Maine.  11pm drive from Portland to Kennebunkport.
Saturday - exploring Kennebunkport and neighboring towns in the AM.  Wedding festivities in the PM.
Sunday - a full day in Kennebunkport.  5pm departure: Portland to Chicago to Sacramento, California.  In bed around 12am PST (that's 3am Portland, ME!!!).
Monday - attempts to "sleep in" sabotaged by toddler who decided 6am PST was a fine time to wake up and start the day.  A full, lazy day in Sacramento.


As you can imagine, our sleep schedules are all scrambled.  Little K did pretty good, considering he jumped from Mountain Standard Time (Denver) to Atlantic Standard Time (Kennebunkport) to Pacific Standard Time (Sacramento) all within 72 hours.  I tried to do my best to get naps in for both of us every day, but I personally had trouble "sleeping in" on the few days I could (Saturday morning and Monday morning).

Now that I have access to a computer again, I'll be back with more posts soon!  We are going to be in California all week, so maybe I'll have some fun photos to share of the Golden State.

What's the most brutal travel you've ever experienced?  Do you adjust well when crossing time zones?


11pm at the Portland, Maine airport.  Cranky.  Just. Want. To. Sleep.

Our lodging for the weekend.  One of the many places we ate.
Chicago suburbs at night.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, that sleep schedule sounds ROUGH. I generally do OK with switching timezones, but I haven't tried it yet with a toddler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little rough on that westbound flight to California. A good two hour nap on Momday set us both right and we're doing great now!

      Delete
  2. What a cutie!

    Traveling always wears me out. I never understand why being on an airplane is so exhausting but it just is. I wish I was one of those people who could just sleep during flights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find anything that requires sitting for extended periods of time (long plane flights, conferences, exceedingly long movies, and hospital waiting rooms included) wear me out!

      Delete
  3. That airplane photo is beautiful! You guys are troopers with that sleep schedule! Wow!

    The most difficult time I had adjusting to time changes was when I went to China from Michigan. There were a few layovers and one twelve hour flight. Then we had a twelve hour time difference. It was way before I had my son - I cannot imagine doing that with a child in tote. We did go to the US from the Netherlands (six hour time difference) when my son was about two or three months old. That was fine though. He slept most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuliya, I am with you, I don't think I'm going to want to conquer international travel with my son until he's at least 8. Or 10. Or maybe never. I can't imagine how turned around you were when you arrived in Michigan. I had to deal with a 12 hour time difference when I traveled to Europe from California a few years back. I think it took me three days before I was *somewhat* adjusted.

      Delete
  4. I love flying over Chicago, it just lights up! That's always my favorite part of my flight when I fly home from seeing my mom in MT :) Hopefully when you get home you can reset. What a lovely place you stayed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I've been living in Denver too long (a year?!) but I was impressed with the Chicago suburbs which is why I had to snap that photo! It is a beautiful city at night (and day!).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...