Wednesday, June 11, 2014

WIAW #10: First Trimester Eats

It's been over a month since I've participated in a What I Ate Wednesday with Jenn at Peas and Crayons.  I've been in a hiding for awhile thanks to some serious morning sickness woes as I'm almost through my first trimester.



If you're new to my blog, it might be helpful to know that I've been eating Paleo since February of this year.  It was an accidental change in how I eat -- and I only made the transition after reading various blogs about the Whole30 and Paleo -- and it was the best accident I've ever made.  After struggling for three years with my weight after becoming a mom, eating Paleo helped me get back down to a weight that I could be happy with.

Although I've been pregnant for almost twelve weeks now, I was able to keep with the Paleo diet until the eighth week of pregnancy, and that's when the morning sickness really took over my life, including changing what I could eat.  I had no concerns about dropping the Paleo diet -- I know that I will eat whatever I need to eat to ensure I have a healthy pregnancy.  It's a small sacrifice to make.

Here are some of the biggest changes and cravings I've had to make in the last month:
  • Eating bread, crackers, and other simple carbs
  • A serious craving for soup: chicken tortilla, minestrone, chili, chicken noodle, pho, ramen...soups of any kind
  • Potatoes.  Potatoes are starchy and therefore off limits on the paleo diet, but I've been indulging in baked potatoes, french fries, potato salad.
  • Sandwiches.  Especially anything with roasted chicken or a grilled chicken breast.
  • Eating every 2-3 hours.  When I was on the Paleo diet, thanks to the protein in my meals, I only ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and occasionally, an afternoon snack.  As my nausea got worse, I found that I had to eat more often to avoid getting nauseous, including eating in the middle of the night.
Clockwise from top lefthand corner: cucumber, tomato, avocado salad with miso dressing; beef stew with golden beets and tortellini pasta salad; chocolate mousse and raspberries with orange creme anglaise; salad with albondigas soup; fish taco and korean taco; grilled chicken arugula pesto sandwich with potato salad; rib eye with corn and french fries

Would you give you up a special diet for a period of your life if your health (and/or someone else's health) depended on it?

7 comments:

  1. Your meals all look super tasty! I definitely understand dropping paleo for pregnancy. I've had to adjust my expectations with it since we're sharing cooking days with my in laws, and I'm really struggling that decision :/ I'd be much happier letting go of paleo for a pregnancy. Are the carbs helping with the all day sickness? I definitely agree that you shouldn't worry about keeping to paleo when you're expecting, but should focus on eating whatever it is that you are able to and just listening to your body. Looks like you are doing a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the carbs are helping with the nausea whenever it strikes. I am on my second box of Saltines (crackers) in the past four weeks. I've noticed the weight gain, especially in my butt and hips, but I'd rather be a soft and doughy than have the nausea.

      Delete
    2. Yea, they were they were essentially the only thing I could eat for breakfast during the first trimester :( Not too much diversity there, but you're so right crackers are so much better than nausea!

      Delete
  2. I can't even imagine worrying about Paleo while dealing with morning sickness. I also can't imagine morning sickness - yikes!

    You are a smart mama to follow your instincts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sorta miss my Paleo diet and wish that I found protein and veggies as satisfying as I used to before I was pregnant, but I don't. It's been pretty amazing to watch how my body has just switched from being happy with lean meats & veggies to wanting bread, crackers, and pasta pretty regularly. I'm going with it!

      Delete
  3. You look really great Marnie. I think follow the cravings and whatever pleases you is a perfect plan. You can portion manage and I am sure it will be okay. I know carbs get a bad wrap, but they do seem to really help the nausea for lots of folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Karen. I figure the pregnancy is just nine months out of my life, and it's the right thing to do for the baby.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...