Monday, July 28, 2014

Breakfast for Seven

After three consecutive days of feeding seven people breakfast, I have to say my kitchen feels eerily quiet this morning.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I woke up each morning, put on a pot of coffee, and set to work making breakfast for three adults and four kids.  It's been a looooong time where I'e had to make breakfast for that many people, where the kids outnumbered the adults.  The last time I made breakfast or brunch for a large group was over a year ago, when we participated in a rotating weekend brunch schedule with our friends in San Francisco.  Back then, the kids were all still under the age of two, so the food was made mostly with adults in mind.  This time around, my diners were a little different in age...

Here's what I learned about making breakfast for houseguests, especially when it comes to making breakfast for kids:


1. Kids will tell you they're not hungry, then wander back into the kitchen 10 minutes later, starving.  When the little boys woke up, the first thing they wanted to do was play.  They'd come into the kitchen and say hello.  I'd ask them what they wanted to eat and they'd say, not yet.  But a little while later, perhaps because of the smell of bacon or toast, they'd come back, ready to eat.

2. Be ready for anything if you ask the kids what they want for breakfast.  Especially if they're five and younger.  On the first day, I asked my son and his new buddy, Nico, what they wanted for breakfast.  The answer?  Mac & cheese.  I made it.  And they ate it.

3. Make foods the adults will like, and maybe the kids will follow suit.  I love food.  And I wasn't going to stoop down to cereal and frozen waffles.  I made my favorite breakfast dishes that I could dress up for the adults and dress down for the kids.

4. Choose a breakfast dish that can either be made on demand or eaten cold, possibly hours after you've made it.  I would be in the kitchen around 7am every morning, and pretty much had the whole kitchen to myself until 8am.  Then my son would wake up, shortly after, Nico (5 years old), would show up in the kitchen.  And then it would be another hour before the girls (7 and 9) would show up, with their mom shortly behind.  I think I ate breakfast two or three times as I cooked for each round of people that showed up in the kitchen.

Curious as to what we ate for breakfast?  Here's a smattering of the things we ate:


Have you made breakfast for large groups?  What do you like to make?  Feel free to share links to any of your favorite on-line recipes!!





6 comments:

  1. You are so brave and sweet to cook to order! I usually make a casserole when feeding a lot of people. It can be heated up in the microwave if it gets cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omelettes to order aren't too bad, once you have a technique to the "perfect" omelette. Breakfast casseroles are delicious!

      Delete
  2. Great photos! Those baked eggs sound delicious. I like to do a French toast casserole for a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm I need a good French toast casserole recipe. That sounds like a good one to have handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your potatoes look amazing! I like that philosophy - give them what they want ")

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's so nice of you to cook for so many people. I'm such a grouch in the morning [unless I've downed my several necessary mugs of coffee, then I'm tolerable], I don't think I'd be able to do that. Brunch maybe, but breakfast would have to be super special. You're hero for managing to do that. And while pregnant, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...