Thursday, July 31, 2014

Friday Five: What's New?

I am linking up this fine Friday with CourtneyMar, and Cynthia, the three hosts of Friday Five, where they host a different theme every Friday.  If you haven't heard about this awesome linkup, you can read more about the purpose and the link up rules here.  You can also head over to Courtney's blog, Eat Pray Run DC to see what's up with other bloggers as well.

This week's theme is "What's New".  In putting together my list of five, I realized, I've been pretty busy lately!  Here's what I've been up to:
1.  I'm onto another book!  The last time I shared what I was reading, I was enjoying "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr.  I've since finished that book (loved it!) and am now working on "The Dinner" by Herman Koch.  Unlike the last few books I've read, this was not recommended by anyone I know; I just stumbled upon it with the following recommendation "A European Gone Girl."  Sold.  I'm only six chapters in, but I'm already intrigued.


2. I've been giving myself mani/pedis to save money.  I like nothing better than sitting in a spa pedicure chair and getting my feet massaged.  Then there comes the perfect pedicure!  The other day, I had a little trouble bending over to buckle the straps on my sandals and I realized that it won't be long before I'm well enough into my second trimester and I won't be physically able to give myself a pedicure, so I figure I should paint my own toes while I still can.  I've also been itching to change my foot and nail color a little too often, and I don't want to shell out the $$$ every time I want to change my nail color.

3.  I've been baking up a storm.   One significant way the second trimester has been different from the first trimester (besides no more morning sickness!) is I've been having hankerings for baked goods.  And not just any baked goods, but really good baked goods.  Unfortunately, there aren't very many good bakeries in Denver (at least not that I've found), so I've been doing a lot of baking at home.  I've mostly been baking cookies and muffins... and it's been fun to experiment.

4.  I'm (finally) learning how to use my DSLR camera.  After years of reading that the best way to get great photos is to learn how to use your camera in 'manual' mode, I finally buckled down and read the guide to my Canon EOS 20D.  I have a long way to go, but I'm working on learning about ISO, aperture, and shutter speed among many other things.  I figure, I'll work on these three for now... and maybe, with a little creativity and focus on composition, my photos will just keep getting better!

5.  I'm getting back into one of my oldest hobbies: scrapbooking.  Last weekend, my college buddy Sonya and her three kids stayed with us, and her two girls were absolutely infatuated with my scrapbook room.  I showed them how to do a few simple techniques and they each created a project.  After they left, I realized I haven't created any projects in at least three months.  So this week, I created a few pages.  I'm excited to get some projects done before baby #2 comes...

What's new with you?  Have you picked up any new hobbies, tv shows, or other addictions?


20 comments:

  1. Those muffins look good! No new hobbies, but lots of reading. TV shows - have started watching travel and food programs on DVD, Netflix or recorded - like BBQ Crawl, Hawaii Life, Samantha Brown. Fun little escapes! Newest addiction - sugar free chocolate syrup by Torani.... Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reader! Yes! I love watching travel and food programs, too. I won't be travelling much after baby #2 is born, so I'm sure I'll be watching more of both in six months. You have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  2. wow actually reading the guide that came with your camera? What a novel idea. I'm sure your feet look lovely! Do you have one of those little pedicure baths they feel really great on the feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah reading the user manual - who does that these days! I do not have a little pedicure bath at home, but that sounds like a great idea for future pedicures!

      Delete
  3. I need to get back into reading. I've been on the same book on my Kindle Reader since last fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that rut. I have tried reading books electronically, but it just doesn't work for me. I do almost all my reading through audiobooks. Works best for me...

      Delete
  4. So funny. I started craving baked goods into my third trimester too! I've mostly been snacking on cookies and bagels but those muffins look delicious! You are very smart to get to know your camera now before baby arrives. I purchased the book Mamarazzi before my first child was born to help me learn more about taking pics of my LO. Now I'm about to have our second kid and I still don't know everything about the DSLR. lol It's so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, we're both going to be mamas of two very soon! I hope I get better photos this time around with baby #2. Five more months to practice!!

      Delete
  5. i read the dinner -- i liked it but nowhere near as much as i liked gone girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't finished it yet... but I will see if I am in your camp or not. :-)

      Delete
  6. I wanted to be a good scrapbooker So bad. Everyone's pages are just gorgeous. But alas I had neither the patience nor the talent for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, scrapbooking isn't for everyone... And that's how I've felt about photography for a long time. I've wanted to be a good photographer since college. And I tried photography prior to DSLRs. I did not have the patience for metering and much less for the darkroom. But now I am going to try again.

      Delete
  7. I know that book The Dinner! I liked it too. It has since then become a movie too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has it? I had no idea. I will have to go look up the movie if I like the book when I'm done reading it...

      Delete
  8. Those muffins look awesome! I'm not too good at baking, so if you have some recipes to share, that would be awesome ;)

    I used to be really into scrapbooking, too, but since moving to Europe, and leaving behind my stash of supplies, I still haven't picked it back up. Hubby asked me to so we can have a nice way of preserving family memories. You reminded me that I really should get back into it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrapbooking is time consuming. I personally think it is more time consuming than blogging, but that might just be ME. Haha. If you do get back into scrapbooking, we can trade ideas!!

      Delete
  9. Yay for books! Love reading, but seems to be on the back burner these days.
    Those muffins look yummy! Love baking!!!
    I wish I could do my own manicures....my left hand always looks good, but my right hand looks like a 2 yr old painted the nails! Ha. Love me a good pedicure!
    Way to go on reading your camera manual! You should get some sort of degree for that! :)

    Love scrap-booking but have not done much since I got married...3 years ago...Oops. Need to get on that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about one hand looking funny after a manicure. That used to be an issue for me... and then I picked up some tips from my lil' sister.

      I think I may make my own "fake" degree for reading my camera manual. That would make a good "silly" hack.

      Delete
  10. The muffins do look yummy. I love to get a pedicure too, but I try to stretch it out, I just did my nails last week, it's a pain. Isn't more fun when someone does it lol Nothing new for me lately, I haven't even been hiking :( I will be moving to my new work site next week, we've been in temp place so that is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new work site is always good news. Nothing like moving into a newer building!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...