Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Horseback Riding in Estes Park

I went on my first horseback ride this past weekend!

As I mentioned last Friday, my college buddy, Sonya, and her three kids, spent the weekend with us, making a stop in the middle of their 6,000 mile summer roadtrip.  Aside from catching up with Sonya and getting know her kids all over again (they've grown alot since I last saw all of them over two years ago), my favorite part of their visit was a two-hour horse ride that included a cowboy-style dinner. 

We made the two hour drive up to Estes Park, an amazing part of the Rocky Mountain National Park, to get to the stables.  Our horseback ride started at 4:30pm, just as the beautiful summer skies started to cloud over (totally normal summer weather in Colorado).  Fortunately, we all packed jackets/rain gear in case of rain, which we did have to pull out during the ride.

I enjoyed the horseback ride more than I expected.  I know the kids loved it -- my three-year-old son could not stop talking about his horse and everyone else's horse.  My husband rode double with our son (you have to be at least five to ride alone), while the rest of us had our own horses.  We were our own party, with six horses and seven riders.  After 90 minutes of riding, we arrived at a stable where dinner was waiting for us (steaks, potatoes, beans, and garlic bread).  We ate quickly, and then got back on our horses for a 30 minute return back to where we started.


Have you been horseback riding?  Is there something on your bucket list that you hope to do sooner than later?

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I actually used to take horseback riding lessons when I was a pre-teen. This makes me miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have taken horseback lessons as a kid. Maybe my son will be so lucky!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely place to ride :) The pictures are awesome. I actually took lessons for a few years after I turned 40 and really enjoyed it. Although I really loved the experience it didn't turn into a real passion for me, it was just one of those things I am glad I tried :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it's never too late for horseback lessons! You can say you did it!

      Delete
  3. Not only does that look like so much fun, but what a beautiful area! I love mountains, and that first photo just makes it seem like such an awesome place :) The Netherlands is flat, and we pretty much have to travel to France or Germany to get a similar view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very appreciative of the scenery! I've traded the beach for mountains, and it's a different kind of beauty.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...