Monday, July 21, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 17 Weeks


I'm a week late on my pregnancy update...the truth is I forgot to take a photo at the 16 week mark, so I'm doing an update at 17 weeks.

Alot has happened since the 14 week check in: we got the results of a blood test, called the cell-free DNA test, which is a non-invasive option for those who do not want to go through with a CVS or amniocentesis test.  When I was pregnant with my first child in 2011, we opted out of CVS and amniocentesis because we were concerned about the possibility of miscarriage due to the invasiveness of the test, and now, three years later, we are happy that the cell-free DNA test is now an option in the U.S. (it was available in Europe but not the U.S. in 2011).  The other great thing about the cell-free DNA test is that it can be performed as early as 10 weeks into the pregnancy, and you can find out the gender of the baby (which we did).  Want to guess the gender?  I'll do a reveal at my next pregnancy update.

Weeks along: 17 weeks

Maternity clothes?  Definitely.  I am no longer wearing any regular pants or shorts; I've traded them in for my maternity pants and shorts, I'm wearing alot of dresses, but I'm still wearing a variety of tops.  The most challenging outfits have been my workout clothes.  I didn't exercise during my first pregnancy, but I'm trying to keep up my walking and upper body workouts, and with the hot weather, it's been difficult to find shorts that fit the belly.  I think I am going to have to get a pair of maternity shorts specific for working out.

Total weight gain: 10 pounds.  I was worried I was ahead of the curve given how far along I am, but when I asked my doctor at my 16 week pre-natal appointment, she said she wasn't worried because my pre-pregnancy weight was on the low end of the BMI scale.  She predicts I will gain 30-35 pounds during my pregnancy.

Food cravings: not nearly as intense as it was during my morning sickness period (weeks 8-13).  Since 4th of July week, I've been trying to move back to a more Paleo-style way of eating, which means lots of fruits & vegetables and healthy-lean protein to keep myself from getting hungry too often.  I am still having a serving of bread/crackers/pasta at least once a day, but I'm feeling good about moving back towards eating Paleo (so is my husband, who was getting worried about the amount of carbs we were eating every night for dinner).

Anything making me sick or queasy?  Not as bad as it was prior to week 13.  There are still some smells that make me gag a bit.

Energy level: my three-hour naps have scaled back to hour long sessions most days.  I especially need a nap on the days I workout in the morning.  Some days, I've laid down for my afternoon nap and haven't fallen asleep.

Sleep: besides my afternoon session, I've been getting 7.5-8 hours of sleep a night.

Looking forward to: getting to the 20-week mark.  If we can make it to the halfway mark, I'll feel better about this pregnancy.

My husband and I have been loving that July has been so different from June.  I was so out of commission with my morning sickness, that I spent most of June holed up at home, and my husband spent most of the weekends with my son, and I stayed home.  We've been getting out every weekend.  This weekend we went to an art festival in Boulder, and this coming weekend, we have some out of town guests arriving!

Have you heard of the cell-free DNA test?  Do you know someone (maybe yourself?) that tried CVS or amniocentesis to test for possible genetic disorders?

Care to guess the gender of the baby?




10 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, you are going to keep us in suspense for a week?!

    I'm going with girl.

    You look fantastic! I'm so happy that you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a whole week of suspense! Thanks for playing the gender guessing game!

      Delete
  2. Lookin' good, mama! I haven't heard of this test. We also opted out of CVS and amniocentesis for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I guess BOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! I don't know alot of other mamas who went with CVS or amniocentesis so I didn't have anyone to consult with about their personal experience...

      Delete
  3. Marnie! You look lovely! I want to leave a longer comment and actually read through your post, but my trouble maker [I mean wonderful son] has decided to revolt against sleep. Sigh. Again, you look great and hope you feel it, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yuliya! No need for a longer reply... go take care of your troublemaker!

      Delete
  4. You really do look lovely, your baby bump is so cute and small :) I am going with a boy! I've never heard of the test but that's amazing you have a non -invasive option and can learn the sex. I was surprised when I delivered lol I am really old lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you are too funny. Some of my friends have opted not to know beforehand and were surprised at delivery too. There are some of us that still have babies that way!

      Delete
  5. You look fabulous! I love reading your pregnancy updates. It's so fun to read what's going on with you and think back on how my pregnancies were at that point as well. I was a serious napper during all of my pregnancies. There was never enough sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Knowing that this is my last pregnancy, I am trying to capture every moment so I can remember it all... even the morning sickness trauma! Ha!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...