Friday, July 11, 2014

Thankful...


Earlier this week, Katie from Pick Any Two shared one-line affirmations for moms and her post left a huge smile on my face.  It was such a wonderful post, I want to elaborate on some of her affirmations that resonated with me.

#8 My mothering body is beautiful.  I was in the best shape of my life when I got pregnant with my son.  Two consecutive years of running half marathons, marathons, and other races can do that for you (I highly recommend you add it to your bucket list if you aren't a runner but like solo sports).  I also knew that it would take awhile to get back in shape, but a year after my son was born, I was still pretty heavy.  That didn't bother me.  What did bother me was that when my son was two, and I had been done with nursing for a year, I was still heavy.  It took awhile to find another way (besides intensive running) to get to a happy body image.  But I did find it.  It just took quite a bit longer than I had anticipated.  And now that I'm pregnant with a second one, I am prepared because I have a plan on how to get back in shape post-partum and it does NOT involved running half marathons or marathons.

#12 I will teach my child by example more so than by advice.  This one is a big challenge for me.  And I'm sure it will become more of a challenge as my child gets older.  For example, I am acutely aware that I spend a lot of time on my smartphone, and I try very hard to make sure I am engaged with my son rather than looking at my phone when he wants my attention.  In addition, I can tell my three-year-old son, "Please don't do that," and he'll listen, no questions asked.  When he starts to question my advice -- that will be the real test.  My parents raised me in a very authoritarian manner (my father was in the US Navy) and we were told to listen and not ask questions.  I don't want my son to grow up that way.  So I'm sure there will be lots of reasoning and discussion in our lives as my son grows up.

#19 am grateful for my life as a mom.  I'm grateful despite / because I am an older mom.  I truly believe that one of the biggest benefits of having a child after the age of 35 is that I've had sufficient time to spend on ME.  At first, this was a detriment, because I had a serious adjustment period after spending 15+ years as an adult only thinking about me, me, me.  The first year of parenting was not fun for me.  But now that the shock has worn off and my priorities in life have completely changed, there isn't a day I don't wake up and think how wonderful my new job is: being a mom.

What are you thankful for as a mother?  If you aren't a parent, what one trait were you thankful for that your parents had?

10 comments:

  1. This is a really sweet and thoughtful post! I love it!! I'm not a parent, but patience is the trait that I am most thankful for from my parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience! That's definitely something I have more of these days now that I'm not working. So thankful I don't have to work and be a mom!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful thoughts! I am so grateful I was given the gift of being a mom. It completely changed the focus from me to him and I really was able to put on my happy face and keep things happy for him while he was growing up. There are always rough times in life, but I never gave because I always wanted him to have a good day. Enjoy those minutes talking things over as your son grows :) Mine still remembers lots of things we talked about over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen that's wonderful that you and your son still remembers lots of things you've talked about over the years. I'm grateful too of being given the gift of being a mom. It was alot harder to get pregnant the second time around, so we are knocking on wood it all works out!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post, and I love how you expanded on some of the affirmations! I'm also very aware of how much time I spend on my smartphone; some days I have visions of telling an older child to put away his device and immediately feeling gut-punched by the hypocrisy of it. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Katie, thanks for inspiring my post this Friday. I wrote it immediately after I read your blog, and couldn't wait to publish it!

      Delete
  4. The smart phone thing used to be a problem for me, too. Then mine took a dive from the stroller to the cement and now refuses to work. I'm not getting a new one until our contract ends in September so I've been cellphone free for a week or two now. It's honestly been wonderful and I appreciate the break from technology I've been trying to give myself. It won't last too long I suppose, but for now, I enjoy it.

    Anyway, this was such a sweet and lovely post! Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts with us! Your last sentence brought tears to my eyes ...

    I also agree that the transition from thinking about yourself to a whole other human being who is completely dependent on you is quite a challenge. My son was born on my 25th birthday, and, while we were certainly at a point where we felt ready, it was of course a complete shift in our priorities and thought processes. I can't imagine my life any other way though - the smile on my son's face every morning, or the hugs and kisses he offers in between playing with his cars make every single night in, and every single poopy diaper totally worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I love about blogging -- I get to exchange such great thoughts and ideas with other smart, introspective women. I know we are all blessed with the time we SAHMs have and it's great to connect through the internet.

      Maybe your smart phone mishap is a good one. It sounds like you'll have a new perspective on your time and technology come September!

      Delete
    2. Yep, it's been pretty good so far. We still have a laptop and a tablet so I'm not particularly missing out on anything except phone calls, but I have an dumb phone somewhere or other for that. However, it's really helping to get us refocused on our family in the evenings.

      That's definitely one of my favourite parts of blogging, too! It's amazing how we can have conversations with [at times] such different backgrounds, living in completely different parts of the world :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...