Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What I've Been Reading

I read more now than I ever did while I was in school.  Thank you, Steve Jobs, for creating the Nano, which enabled me to listen to audiobooks while running (you need a friend during those long distance runs!) and driving a heinous commute between Los Angeles and San Diego.

I've been listening to audiobooks pretty regularly since 2007.  I "read" about 95% of my books on audio.  While I was suffering with morning sickness, my reading really picked up, as there wasn't much else to do when what I needed was a dark room to rest in.  If it hadn't been for my audiobooks, I probably would have died from boredom.

Here's what I'm reading right now along with a few books I finished recently.


I'm about two-thirds through this book and love it.  If you check out my full reading list where I keep track of what I've read, you'll see that I've been on a World War II theme with my reading lately (Anne Frank, Sarah's Key, Unbroken, The Winds of War).  I love that Anthony Doerr gives us the perspective from both the French and German side of the war.


I found this book randomly on Amazon while searching for another book.  I was instantly drawn into this story where the protagonist provides a thought-provoking view of AIDS as a young high-school girl living in the suburbs of New York City.  Suddenly, it was 1987 again, and I was wearing a scrunchie in my hair, watching the Cosby Show, and battling the struggles of junior high and high school.


This book has been out for a while, but for whatever reason, hadn't heard about it.  Although it's non-fiction, it is one of the more entertaining non-fiction books I have read in along time.  I had no idea that some of the most important scientific research we've ever conducted (a vaccine for Polio, gene mapping, cloning, and more) were all done using the cells from one woman: Henrietta Lacks.  If you've got any bit of a science inclination, I think you would love this book.

Are you book lover?  What are you reading right now?

8 comments:

  1. This post made me realize that the last book I read for myself was about montessori...I need to take this list to Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with reading about Montessori, but some reading for yourself isn't a bad idea, either!

      Delete
    2. Yep, definitely something I miss from the nursing days - all that time sitting with an e-book was quite useful for reading. Not useful for getting anything done around the house though :)

      Delete
    3. Ahhh so you did have a past where you read for fun! Just kidding. Well I hope I've inspired you to pull an e-book out sometime soon!

      Delete
  2. I hardly ever do audio books anymore. I use to enjoying if hiking, but running I like music :) I am currently reading America the Beautiful, by Dr. Ben Carson so far it's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to books using my phone while I run and I have two of Ben Carson's audiobooks on hold at the library including this one. I've seen the Henrietta Lacks at the library, too, and have it on my "to-read" list. Good to hear you found it interesting!

      Delete
    2. Karen - I hear ya on listening to music while running. It's a whole lot more energizing! Thanks for the book recommendation, I will look into it!

      Delete
    3. Well, that's two recommendations for Ben Carson, glad Tina piped in. Definitely going to look into it now!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...