Wednesday, July 23, 2014

WIAW #13: Hometown Eats

Happy Wednesday, y'all!  I love Wednesdays, when I get to check out what everyone else has been eating, thanks to Jenn from Peas and Crayons.  If you're not familiar with What I Ate Wednesdays, check out the deets here.


The plain vanilla version of WIAW is to share what you ate from sunrise to sunset, on a given day, but I'm going to stray from the usual and share eats from our "Tour de Cuisine" around Colorado the past week or so.  We made a real effort to try some new restaurants, and found some winners in Boulder and downtown Denver.   We were stuck in a rut for awhile, eating at the same places over and over again...so it was nice to try some new places.
Let's start with bar food.  After going Paleo back in March, I haven't had a whole lot of white potatoes, but again, with the pregnancy, I've allowed myself some indulgences.  Now that the first trimester is over, I'm backing off the pasta and bread, but I had to have a couple of these amazing french fries, served with homemade ketchup.


More bar food!  Last Friday, hubby got off work early, so we headed out to a new neighborhood (Pearl Street) and found a restaurant with a comfy-looking patio and ordered fries (notice a pattern?), calamari, and a shareable salad with grilled peaches.  I couldn't have any alcohol, but hubby ordered a Moscow Mule that he declared deeeelicious.

I broke down on my back-to-low-carb resolution and ordered this grilled veggie panini.  It was pretty good... I'm inspired to try and a grilled veggie sandwich at home sometime soon.

And...the winner of the week?  A delicious chopped chicken salad.  The fresh corn was divine in this simple entree salad of romaine, corn, radish, tomatoes, avocado, radish, and a touch of scallions.  Surprisingly, I've been hard pressed to find good salads around Denver.

Do you have a favorite place to eat in your hometown?  What do you eat when you really want to splurge when dining out?





12 comments:

  1. OMG, those fries in the top picture seriously have me drooling!! That salad looks fantastic too! Glad you're getting out & enjoying some new-to-you places! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karey -- we realized that summer is quickly running out and we should get outside as much as possible!!

      Delete
  2. Oh man! All of these are drool worthy, but that salad in the bottom post seems fantastic! I wish I had those ingredients right now, but sadly my fridge is waiting for the market day [Friday] to be restocked.

    I also think it's pretty reasonable to allow for indulgences while pregnant. I remember my first trimester, I actually lost weight because I was so nauseous and had all day sickness. At the time, I focused on eating whatever didn't sound icky at the time. Soooo, it looks like you're doing a great job of combining yummy and healthy eats!

    To answer your question, we don't really go out to eat much. Especially with paleo, I've found it very difficult to find acceptable eating out options. Oh, and not to mention that the children's menus in the Netherlands consist solely of deep fried options - french fries and mixed meat deep fried things. So that's inconvenient. Anyhow, on the rare occasion that Hubby and I do choose to splurge, there is a fancy Japanese restaurant that we love. It's actually an almost all you can eat idea where you get a menu and order rounds of food several times. I'm not explaining it well, but it's pretty much my favourite place for sushi and other tasty treats. Or we go for steaks. Big, yummy steaks with dessert of the chocolate nature of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that the children's menu choices are mostly fried. We have the usual fried stuff, too: french fries, tater tots, and then other not so healthy options: hamburgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese, and pizza. So I can understand why it is easier to eat at home.

      Mmm Japanese. That is a favorite cuisine of ours...although sushi is out for me right now, ha!

      Delete
    2. Yea, it's really limited here! I also don't really like to order from the adult menu for my kiddo because it's generally pretty expensive and I'm never sure if he'll like it. Sigh.

      I love Japanese and there's only one good restaurant in our area! I really missed it when I was pregnant :(

      Delete
  3. The fries look so yummy! The chicken salad looks right up my alley (minus the chicken for me:) When I want to splurge it's usually dessert for me lol i love cheesecake and apple pie, but I don't indulge often. My hubby has been on an O Charley's free pie Wednesday night kick for the past few weeks. I told him we can not do that weekly lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm cheesecake and apple pie. Those are two really awesome desserts that I love too!

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh your pictures are seriously making me drool right now!!! is 10.50 too early for fries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, it is NEVER too early for fries! I bet french fries in the Netherlands are delicious!

      Delete
  5. That salad looks like a meal I love! I never splurge on the actual meal when I go out to eat because I actually really enjoying eating veggies, lean protein and salads. But I definitely would splurge on dessert. Carrot cake would be my top pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh carrot cake can be really good when done right. I am very particular about my carrot cake. I don't want it too sweet but it has to have that awesome cream cheese frosting. And nuts, please! Carrot cake isn't carrot cake without the nuts!

      Delete
  6. Those fries look amazing! They've been my weakness lately too. Although I can only blame it on marathon training and not a pregnancy!
    Chopped salads are one of my favorites and it looks like you found a great one. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...