Thursday, July 17, 2014

Writing Process Tour

Happy Thursday!  Today I'm switching things up and participating in a "writing process tour" that asks the authors of different blogs to share some insight on their blogs: why they write what they write about, what they current projects include, and info about how they go about putting material together for their blog.

Leslie from Life Begins at 30? was a recent contributor in this tour and asked me to join in the fun.  How could I say no?  After all, part of the reason I blog is it is a great writing outlet for me.  Of course I'd love to talk about my writing process and learn about the writing process of other bloggers in return!

If writing is part of why you enjoy blogging, I recommend you check out Leslie's post for the writing process tour here.  

What am I working on?
At the moment, I am working on establishing a schedule of what to write about and how often to publish.  When I first started SuperSmartMama, I planned on writing about motherhood, being a stay at home mom, and making that adjustment from having a professional life to staying at home 100% of the time.  However, I found that I really wanted to celebrate day-to-day, which meant I was writing more about simpler "stuff" like what I ate that day, my ups and downs of being mother to a toddler, and challenges like figuring out what meals to cook for the day or fitting exercise in on a regular basis.
Now that I've been blogging solidly since January, I think it's time to find a clearer focus for SuperSmartMama, whether that be juggling your personal time with mama time or activities mamas can do with their kids to keep life interesting.  Lately I've published a few posts that are more geared towards being the mom of a three-year-old and less about my personal day-to-day activities (exercise, cooking, etc.).  I want to have some substance here and there in what I post and I want it to be relevant to the title 'SuperSmartMama'.
My Favorite Place to Blog
How does my work differ from others of its type/genre?
Hmmm, maybe it doesn't?!  I'd like to categorize myself in the general mom-blogger genre but maybe my readers can tell me differently?  I think the mom-blogger genre is pretty broad.  There are mom blogs about everything: food, exercise, raising four kids, juggling a job and raising four kids, you name it!

Why do I write what I do?
I write about whatever is speaking to me that day (see next question).  In the end, I would like to have a collection of posts, where, when I go back to my blog two, three, four years from now, I can look at a post and say, yeah, that captured that moment in my life and I'm happy I have it documented.  If I can throw in a few helpful mothering tidbits here and there for other mothers, then that's icing on the cake.

How does your writing process work?
Right now, it is definitely by the seat of my pants.  I will run to my computer and start drafting a post as soon as an idea hits me, and that is usually during one of two times during the day: in the morning, just after my son and husband have left the house (for school and work, respectively), or in the evening, while I'm washing the dishes (weird, I know, but I get really reflective while I'm washing the dishes, because it's really quiet.  My husband takes care of bath time, and I get kitchen cleanup, an that's "me" time).

So I have this collection of drafts most of the time, and depending on how "finished" I feel a post is, that's how I'll decide what I'll post the next day.  The only exception is What I Ate Wednesdays (WIAW), which I participate in every Wednesday, and therefore requires lots of photo snapping leading up that day.

To continue following the writing process tour...
If you found Leslie's and my responses to the questions for the writing process tour interesting, you can check out upcoming responses from Yuliya at Welcome to Mommyhood (I think she is aiming to publish her answers next Thursday).  I've asked her to join the tour and she has graciously agreed.  Yuliya also writes about being a mom, as well as cooking (which she does alot of!) as well as DIY Montessori activities you can easily do at home with your kids.  I also love that Yuliya lives in the Netherlands and is often sharing insight into what it is like to live there.

The format of the Writing Process Tour asked me to feature three bloggers that you can follow at the end of this post, but I wasn't able to get agreements from other bloggers due to busy schedules.  However, if you'd like to participate, let me know and we can sign you up by sending you the overview (the questions above) and how to participate!  I'd love to hear from some of you next Thursday is your are interested!

Do you blog because you love to write?



8 comments:

  1. You did a great job continuing the tour! I love that you come up with posts while doing dishes! I usually randomly think of things in the shower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, thanks again for inviting me. It was a great opportunity to reflect and really think about the direction of my blog and whether I am happy with it or not. :)

      Delete
  2. Loved reading your responses! I don't find it strange at all that you get great ideas while washing dishes; I too find that time nice and quiet, perfect for being contemplative. I have to chuckle, though, at what qualifies as "me time" after you have a kid! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I had not really thought about the fact that my idea of "me time" has changed since having a kid, but it certainly has!

      Delete
  3. You will have a lot to offer with a newborn and a toddler to raise. It's good to connect and talk about parenting experiences ideas, children are so wonderful but they wear you out! I think having a sympathetic "ear" and connecting is good. That's interesting to think about why blog, originally I started reading blogs because I was in pain and i wondered if anyone had a similar experience to mine when they started running. I found several and somehow I got a attached to a particular few who weren't even my original reads. After awhile I started thinking maybe I should share my experiences being older, trying to get back in shape,etc...I seem to struggle to post more then a few times a week and I have thought about just bagging it at times, but then something will pop in my head and i will share it. I love connecting though with folks, that's the best part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you haven't given up the blog! Although you don't post to a regular schedule, I know I can always count on 1-2 posts a week, and they are always fun to read.

      Delete
  4. I love this post and the insight you've provided into how you write/your blog! That spot on your couch looks like a fantastic blogging spot! I hope to get such a comfy place to work in our new house.

    I love the diversity of posts on your blog, and think that the broad mom-genre is a good way to sum it up. The Toddler posts are something that I find particularly useful because your son is a bit older than mine and I can apply what you learn to my guy ;) I also look forward to reading about how life will be with a toddler and a newborn [as we also hope to cross that path soonish].

    I used to blog the same way - by the seat of my pants. I got too many drafts though and finally made an editorial calendar about a month ago. It's really helped me to keep posting regularly in spite of everything we've had going on.

    Lastly before I write an entire post in the comment section - thank you so much for thinking of me to continue this tour! I'll have my post up the following Thursday [25 July].

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you will be able to participate int he Writing Process Tour. I can't wait to read your post on Thursday!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...