Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Five: Colorado!

Do I Have You Thinking About Winter Already?
It's Friday!  This weekend, we're headed off to explore some Colorado mountain country -- specifically Breckenridge - and I can't wait to enjoy a change of scenery, some scenic hiking, and some fresh mountain air.  

Until we moved from California to Colorado last spring, I can't say I knew much about Colorado except that it has great skiing.  We've only been in Colorado for a year, but there's so much we already love.  Having lived near an ocean at every point in my life up until now, I have to concede that moving to the middle of the country has been an adjustment.

I'm linking up with Courtney from Eat, Run, Pray DC, Cynthia from You Signed Up for What, and Mar from Mar on the Run.  They are the hostesses of the Friday Five Link Up, which you might want to check out!  But let's get to it: What I Love About Colorado...


Five Things I Love About Colorado
1.  The great outdoors.  No surprise here, right?  After all, it's prime ski country.  Denver metro doesn't have much natural wilderness in the immediate area, but it has lots of great trails for running and cycling.  But to get to the greenery and trees, you have to drive west a bit to the mountains.  I've lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and they all have their versions of wilderness and then there's the beautiful Pacific Ocean, but being able to see the Rockies every day, especially in the winter, is a beautiful thing.

2.  The lack of traffic.  All the places I've lived, traffic has been part of the lifestyle.  It's so refreshing to live somewhere where I don't have to battle traffic every day.

3.  It's a little bit country.  My husband was invited to participate in a goat roping event this past January at the National Western Stock Show, which is a big event every January.  It was bigger than the county fairs that they hold in the summer time.  It was a fun event to attend in the dead of winter, and we loved seeing everyone in their western wear: cowboy hats and all.

4.  It's family friendly.  Now that I have something to compare California to, I now know that there are places in the U.S. that are much more family-friendly than some of the urban places I've lived.  The things I've noticed in Colorado?  The number of moms I see trotting around with more than one child in tow.  The fact that every restaurant I go to -- even the really nice ones -- will have kids present.  And little things like the number of lemonade stands I have seen in my neighborhood all summer long.

5.  Friendly people.  I realized I'd spent too much time in big cities when I moved to Colorado and was taken aback by how nice everyone was.  Complete strangers.  I've had the reverse happen -- when I first visited New York City, my college friend chastised me for being so naive, and she cautioned me to keep an eye on my purse at all times.  Last year, when I first moved to California, I was guarded when strangers would suddenly chat me up at the grocery story, and my first thought was what do they want?  I realized that people were just being friendly.

If you live in the U.S.: what do you love about your state?  Please share!
If you live outside the U.S.: what do you love about your country/region?

18 comments:

  1. I will be going to Colorado in a few weeks on vacation, so I really liked this list. This will be my first visit to Colorado. We will be staying most of the week in Estes Park and exploring Rocky Mountain National Park, then a few days in Denver. I am a little worried about how I'll do running in the high altitude (I'll be in the middle of half marathon training), but everyone has told me just to do what I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to my favorite place in Colorado! I love Estes Park and I'm sure you will, too. I agree with running at altitude -- just do what you can, walk when you have to. Expect to run slower. But think of how much easier it will feel when you return to sea level.

      Delete
  2. Colorado is a fun state! I love to visit! I live in Kansas-I like the laid back midwestern smaller town vibe mixed with the bigger city fun that Kansas City has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's our next plan...visit neighboring states like Kansas, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Utah!

      Delete
  3. i love the diversity of DC and all the natural beauty we have around us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I visit DC, I love it! We are going to be there in September!

      Delete
  4. I was in Aspen a few weeks ago-so beautiful. We hiked and rafted and I did a 10k. Altitude killer! Gorgeous state. Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Colorado! My daughter is in school there and she always "reminds" me to be nice to people when we are out and about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I love that your daughter reminds you to be nice. Where are you from?

      Delete
  6. Oh man, this post just made me super nostalgic for the US and it really convinced me that the next time I am there, I have to go to Colorado! I have several relatives there and they really love it, although they also say it's a lot more expensive than Michigan [where I used to live]. From your post, it really seems like a wonderful place to have a family.

    To answer your questions. I used to really, really love the nature in Michigan. I loved all the beautiful trees, and the area I lived in had a lot of lakes. In the summer time, I loved the way the trees arched over the road and how green everything was. In the winter, the branches would be covered in snow and the lakes would freeze. It was just really beautiful and I enjoyed that there were discernible seasons. I also miss simple things like big roads, automatic cars, and cheap gas. Sorry, but gas is really cheap in the US. I've recently started getting over my fear of driving in Europe, and it is so much easier in the US.

    What I love about the Netherlands? It's generally kid and family friendly. People ride bicycles everywhere and it's pretty awesome [in terms of being active. I still don't like it when I'm driving because we have to share the roads]. Free health care for anyone under 18. University is really affordable and you don't need to go into debt to become a doctor, lawyer, or get a higher education. People are relaxed and friendly. The cars are smaller and more gas efficient (have to be). Food is of really good quality and is a lot less expensive than in any other country I've lived in. Things are just generally slower here and I appreciate the change of pace. The lifestyle is really different, which could also be due to the region where we live. I also love that my husband has about four weeks a year that he absolutely cannot work [the company is simply closed to make sure that everyone has time off!] and he gets another several weeks off for sick days, emergencies, whatever. My oh so long winded point is that life here in Holland is a lot slower than what I was used to in other places like London, or even Michigan. We also have a huge safety net provided from the government (we also pay loads of taxes). I'm enjoying the change of pace and the fresh eggs we're eating even though I always imagined I'd live somewhere like Paris or New York.

    [Sorry to write a novel. My hubby made coffee this morning, but it was decaf so I hope what I wrote makes sense!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Your replies always entertain me. Michigan sounds like it would be beautiful (but cold. Colder than Colorado). I love that you shared more about the Netherlands, I always love hearing about your "new" country.

      Delete
  7. Wow your first picture was beautiful! Would love to visit CO one day. Hi from #Fridayfive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the first photo was taken in Beaver Creek, which is right next door to Vail. Last December, 2013. I think I sat at that window every day we were there for Happy Hour and just enjoyed the view.

      Delete
  8. Hmm... I can't think of too much I love about my state. Well, aside from the fresh cheese & creamy frozen custard that adds to my waistline! haha! Colorado looks pretty! I've never been there, but would like to visit. I'm super envious of where you used to live though - SF is our dream city! Someday we hope to be able to live there... I think it seems much more urban & not as family oriented, which is one of the main draws for us (since we have no children & don't want any). I love the hustle & bustle of the city & that you can walk so much. :) I have heard great things about Denver though! Someday I'd like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Francisco will always have a special place in my heart. If it wasn't for having a family, I'd probably be back there in a heartbeat. Great food, great culture, amazingly intelligent people. A whole different world from Denver.

      Delete
  9. I love Colorado! If I were to move, it would probably be somewhere in that state! Like you said, lovely people and great scenery. I especially enjoyed Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park are amazing. I have them up there on the list with Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...