Monday, September 22, 2014

Canneles, Dinosaurs, and a Bike Ride

Fall may finally be here in Colorado.  Although it was hot all week last week (high 80s), there was a definite cool down on Saturday & Sunday, with a crisp feel in the air.

My weekend started on Friday morning with a visit to one of my favorite coffee shops, Aviano Coffee.  They have great tasting coffee, and amazing pastries.  I ordered an iced Angeleno (espresso, milk, and cocoa) and a cannele (a French pastry with a custardy interior and a caramelized crust).  Definitely an indulgence.

After my stop at the coffee shop, I headed off to a scrapbook fair.  The Scrapbook Expo is a travelling collection of vendors who stop at various cities across the country.  The last expo I went to was in 2011, so it was fun to go again and see the new trends and themes in scrapbooking.

After being out of town for business for three weeks straight (home on the weekends), my husband returned home Thursday night.  He was able to take some time off for lunch on Friday, so we met up and tried a new restaurant.  I had these amazing shrimp noodles that I must figure out how to recreate at home...

Friday night we decided to grill at home.  Appetizers included shrimp cocktail, a little cheese, and pistachios.  Nothing too fancy.  Dinner was grilled chicken, corn, and veggie kabobs.

Saturday morning meant soccer practice.  I love watching these three year olds learning how to dribble a soccer ball...

In the afternoon, we drove out to an Oktoberfest which turned out to be a disappointment.  We did get to visit a new set of small towns and we checked out a small dinosaur museum that casts molds of real dinosaur bones for museums around the world.


Sunday was super relaxing, with brunch at one of our favorite brunch places in Denver and then a bike ride in one of these colorful surries around a nearby park.


How was your weekend?  Have you ever gone to a cultural event (like our Oktoberfest) and been disappointed?

8 comments:

  1. Sound like a great weekend (Oktoberfest aside). The coffee and cannele look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cannele was so amazing, I went to look up a few recipes and discovered they are ALOT of work to make. I think I will stick to ordering one from Aviano whenever I want to indulge. :-)

      Delete
  2. Shrimp noodles? I've never heard of such a thing! But they look amaaaaazing, as does that coffee. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'd never heard of them either... but I'm immediately intrigued because they may be low carb.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of shrimp noodles either. Before I started reading about your post, I was staring at the picture trying to figure out comprised such an interesting dish. :) I always forget about shrimp cocktail, but I really enjoy it!! I went to a local Irish fest a few years ago and it wasn't very festive...so I understand your disappointment! Especially since Oktoberfest celebrations are usually so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I guess the noodles do look a little weird.... I did a quick google search on shrimp noodles, and apparently, they require a little "science" in the kitchen, so I don't think I'll be recreating shrimp noodles at home.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you guys had a loveeellyy weekend, although I'm sorry about Oktoberfest. Your noms look abosolutely delicious! I could go for that coffee now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever needed a coffee date, I know that YOU would be the first person I would ask!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...