Friday, September 26, 2014

Friday Five: Favorite Fall Activities


Fall is definitely in the air here in Colorado...no more leaving the windows open at night -- it gets too cold in the house if we do that!

Today I'm linking up with CourtneyMar, and Cynthia, the hostesses of a lovely Friday Five linkup.  The theme today is Favorite Fall Activities.

I'm going to jump right into it...I'm feeling fall-ish with the weather changes, the return of pumpkin flavored coffee drinks, and leaves a-changing color.
Favorite Fall Activity #1: Getting out to a Pumpkin Patch!
I think it has something to do with becoming a parent, because I have to admit that I never used to visit pumpkin patches... but now I can't wait to go and pick out a pumpkin or two!  And then the fun that follows: carving and roasting pumpkin seeds!!

Favorite Fall Activity #2: Holiday Decorations
First there's Halloween, then there's Thanksgiving, and then it's Christmas lights!  Three months in a row of decorations, indoors and/or out (although we don't do much for Thanksgiving, honestly), and in our new Colorado neighborhood, they definitely get into it!  We didn't decorate last year, but we'll be sure to follow suit this year!

Favorite Fall Activity #3: Leaves
OK, I'm not a big fan of actually bagging the leaves, but it's a family activity to get outside, rake them into a big pile, and then jump into them.  My husband is allergic to leaf mold, so he doesn't do any jumping but my son LOVES it.  If you can make a chore kinda fun, I'm all for it...

Favorite Fall Activity #4: Eating Fall Pastries
We have an awesome little French pastry shop near us but we only go a couple of times a year.  They swap out the strawberries, peaches, apricots for apples, pears, etc. and suddenly the indulgence is different.  Cinnamon.  Nutmeg.  Yum!  I also like to bake pumpkin bread and a lovely apple-pear-ginger cobbler that is oh, so, delicious.

Favorite Fall Activity #5: Predicting the First Snowfall
Last year was our first year in Colorado and I could not believe it snowed on October 5.  It did.  But it didn't stick.  And it snowed again later in the month, but again, no sticking.  The weather fluctuates alot in October here in Colorado... 70-75 one day, 50-55 another day.


What are your favorite fall activities?  When does fall really start to feel like fall where you live?  (When I lived in San Diego, it didn't get cold until right before Thanksgiving!)

17 comments:

  1. Aaahh I know it's crazy but I'm weirdly looking forward to snow and that last picture really got me excited! If it's going to be cold it might as well be winter wonderland-ish right?
    Also, those pastries. I need them in my life. I'm seriously considering going out to scour the bakeries around here to see if there is anything remotely similar! (Technically I'm supposed to be going to the gym now :p )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, NOT weird that you are looking forward to snow. I like snow, too, especially since it comes and goes fairly quickly around here -- it's not the like the East coast where it can stick around forever and get dirty and not-so-white.

      I'm sure you'll be posting some great eats from the Netherlands soon enough. I can't wait!

      Delete
  2. It snowed in Rocky Mountain National Park when I was there the first week of September! And they were predicting snow in Denver when I was there that week--it would have been the third earliest snowfall in Denver's history--but it only got down to 34 and didn't snow. I was a little bummed, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Colorado! I love Rocky Mountain National Park... we're planning a trip up there in October to see the leaves changing...

      Delete
  3. I love your holiday decorations, Marnie! And I'm just a tad jealous that it's already this cool at your house; we had a little teaser, but it's going to warm back up this weekend. :( Oh, well, before you know it I'll be complaining that it's too cold - ha! Those pastries look WAAAAY too good! Thank you for sharing and I hope you have a lovely fall weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pastries are definitely a once-in-a-while indulgence, fortunately they're a little out of the way, so I'm not tempted to go too often!

      Delete
  4. leaves and fall pastries = awesome! i'm coming to denver for a very quick trip in late october and i wouldn't mind some snow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your trip in late October is a good one. You may see snow! It happened last year!

      Delete
  5. Predicting the first snow fall is something I don't even want to think about. Maybe because my job is based on the weather. If I had no where to go and could sit at home to watch it, I may enjoy it. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kinda my situation, so maybe that's why I enjoy it so much!

      Delete
  6. Loving your pictures! Pinch me now, but I wouldn't mind some snow right now. The pastries look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Fall pastries are so enjoyable!

      Delete
  7. Great pumpkin patch photo ! And those fall pastries look great.
    It does not feel like fall yet here in Paris. We have temps in the 70s and I am wearing shorts and sandals !

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to be 85 degrees today, that takes away my fall spirit a little lol I love the 70's :) I always enjoy a hayride and I love the smell of anything pumpkin and spicy :) It's so nice when you keep the windows open!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Predicting the first snowfall! This island girl doesn't like the cold, unless it's fall and the leaves or changing OR when it's snowing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...