Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Day in the Life: When Hubby's Away

Happy Wednesday, friends!  This Wednesday, I'm linking up with Jenn from Peas and Crayons, the queen of link up parties with her What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) series.
I'm sharing eats from Tuesday along with events from the day.  My husband is out of town this week - his third week in a row of business trips.  When my husband is out of town, I try and mix it up a little -- more eating out and more time away from the house so that it doesn't feel as lonely at home.


6:45am - I wake up and shortly after, I hear my son waking up (thanks baby monitor!).  We get up, get dressed, and get out the door.

7:45am - we have breakfast at the local bagel shop (a chain).  For those of you who know, I try to eat Paleo as much as possible, but once in awhile, I splurge.  Eating the whole bagel was probably not a good idea; I felt a little off afterwards.  Next up, we make a stop at our local healthcare clinic.  My son wears hearing aids and every once in a while, we need an emergency fix.  Fortunately, our audiologist allows us to do drop-bys for small jobs.  Today I need his hearing aids glued back together.
8:45am - hearing aids repaired, I drop my son off at Montessori school.  I love his school!  We started school when my son was two, and attending school has helped my son socially, which is really important given his personality and his hearing loss.
9:45am - a load of laundry into the wash, some vacuuming, and I head out for a walk before the day gets too hot.  When I need motivation to walk, I walk to the local Starbucks (a little less than 2 miles away), get a treat, and then walk back.  My treat?  An iced caramel macchiato with half the number of pumps of syrup (trying to keep my sugar intake low).
10:45am - back from my walk, I'm happy, because my Fitbit mileage has been a bit low lately.  7,000 additional steps just like that!  I like to listen to audiobooks when I walk, and right now I'm reading The Secret Place by Tana French.
11:45am - time to make lunch!  My favorite part of my day... I make lunch and then eat it while watching one or two of my favorite cooking shows.  Lunch is a HUGE salad with homemade dressing (made with Penzey spices!) and leftover chicken from dinner the other night.

12:45pm - clean up after lunch, another load of laundry, and some bills.  No photo necessary...

1:45pm - naptime!  I try to nap around this time every day because my son still naps and on the weekends, I try and nap when he naps.  Again, no photo neccessary.  :-)

3:45pm - I end up napping for an hour and a half today and then get up and shower... it's kinda weird, but I find it easier to shower mid-afternoon so I can blow out my hair when my son is at school (I only wash my hair every two-three days).

4:45pm - an afternoon snack of apple and I get a few more things done at home before heading out to pick up my son from school.
5:45pm - we're at the library... it's always a good after-school option, especially when my husband is out of town.  Then it's out to dinner... a night away from cooking for mama.  My son is a pretty picky eater these days (didn't use to be the case), so we go somewhere he can enjoy a hot dog.  I have a burger, but lose the top bun to minimize the amount of bread I eat.

Rest of the day - we get home around 7pm, head straight for the bath, brush teeth, read a book, and my son's in bed by 8pm.  Without my husband home, I'm free to watch whatever I want on TV so I indulge in a couple of epidsodes of International House Hunters, then sit down for some reading at 9pm.  Lights out somewhere around 10....

Do you have a spouse that travels for work?  Or do you travel for work?  How does this change the dynamics of your household?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! Your son is so cute!!!! And his school looks lovely! It's great that you're able to get the rest you need. I remember being absolutely exhausted pretty much all of the 9 months. And your burger also looks so tasty! I want one now, but we already ate dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son's Montessori school is so spacious and well organized. We were really blessed to find them. And I am glad to be able to get so much rest. I am counting my lucky stars that I don't have to work!

      Delete
    2. Yea, it would be rough. On the other hand, I'm also worried about how another pregnancy would go because I already have my son. So it still seems like you have your hands full with a toddler - I mean they can be really demanding bosses ;) Have you seen the world's toughest job video, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY

      Delete
    3. I am a bit scared, too, about baby #2 with a toddler on my hands, but I know it will help that my son will be at school 5 days a week. We are working on getting family out here for the first 2-4 weeks of new baby's life, as the beginning is always the hardest!

      I hadn't seen this you tube video, thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...