Wednesday, September 24, 2014

WIAW #19: Pregnancy Eats

As I move into my third trimester, I'm trying to pay more attention to what I'm eating.  Weight gain has been good - not too much, and not too little, but I'm already feeling heavy, so I want to make sure I'm putting on weight healthily and making smart food choices.

I've re-embraced meal planning and put together a meal plan I'm loving for this week.  So far, I've cooked two great dinners that the family has enjoyed.

In making food choices, I have my good days and I have a few bad days here and there, but I'm mostly doing well:

Folic acid.  In addition to what I get from my prenatal vitamins, I've discovered that escarole is a good source of folic acid and fiber and high in vitamin A and K.  It's good in salads and in soups... and I've been on a bit of soup kick, so I've been looking for ways to eat escarole.


Soups.  I'm trying to eat more soup, particularly non-fattening soup.  If i can get lots of veggies in there, even better.

Fruits.  I'm eating more fruit now, mostly because I'm trying to set a good example for my three year old.  I always put a serving of fruit in his lunchbox, and then I have some kind of fruit out on the table at dinner time.  Having the fruit out often means my husband will nibble at it...and my son then follows suit.  I'll have the fruit for dessert.

So here's what I ate on Tuesday...if you want to see what others are eating, I recommend you check out the WIAW (What I Ate Wednesday) party over at Peas and Crayons.
Breakfast - mushroom & spinach omelette with spiced coffee.  Lunch - miso soup (no photo), chicken spring roll, masaman beef curry with brown rice.  Afternoon snack - apples & almond butter (no photo).  Dinner - escarole, apple, hazelnut salad and escarole and meatball soup.

Now that's it fall, are you making any changes to your eating habits?  Any new foods that you're trying?

10 comments:

  1. Yumm!!! All of your meals look delicious, but I really really want that breakfast!! You're doing a fantastic job eating healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yuliya. It helps that I'm past that first trimester curse of wanting to eat bread, pasta, and other carbs...I feel back to my "old" self: if I eat too much non-Paleo, I don't feel so hot.

      Delete
  2. My family are also trying to eat healthier. Good tip about the fruit that is out being nibbled on, will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband always jokes "see food, eat food." So I try and follow that and put healthier food out where I know it will be seen and nibbled on. :-)

      Delete
  3. ha! I 've been eating caramel nut covered apples - I convince myself it's fruit. I laughed when i saw your cute Fall into good habits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the "Fall Into Good Habits" banner, but thanks. Caramel & Nut covered apples sound delicious!!

      Delete
  4. Yum! I've been loving fall flavors especially PUMPKIN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That beef curry looks amazing! I also love your meal plan by category. I'm totally going to copy you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! If I can inspire you to cook / plan meals, awesome!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...