Monday, October 13, 2014

Liebster Award


Leslie from Life Begins at 30 nominated me last week for the Liebster Award.  I have to confess, I was nominated earlier this year, but morning sickness derailed my blogging and I was unable to post in response to that nomination.

"Liebster" means "dearest" in German and the Liebster award is handed out from one blogger to another -- primarily to newer bloggers with smaller audiences (less than 200 to 3000 followers, depending on what rules you find out there).  So thank you Leslie for nominating me!

Each blogger nominated answers ten questions posted to him/her in the nomination and then nominates five more bloggers and poses ten questions to the nominees.  You can read Leslie's Liebster Award post here and you can also check out the four other bloggers she nominated (besides myself!).  It's a great way to discover new blogs, so I encourage you to check them out!

Answers to Leslie's Questions:
1. What is your all time favorite race or sporting event that you've participated in?
I would have to say that would be the San Diego Rock n' Roll Marathon.  It's the longest distance I've ever run, and I had to finish 5 months of dedicated training in order to run the marathon twice: once in 2009 and again in 2010.

2. What food reminds you of home?
Both my parents are from the Philippines and I am first generation, so my mother didn't cook very many American dishes.  The one filipino dish I still cook now (which reminds me of home) is Filipino-style adobo.  If you're curious, here's an online recipe which is close to my mother's version.

3. Favorite childhood memory?
I was a military brat as a child.  We lived in the following places: Hawaii, Maryland, Japan, and California.  I have lots of memories from each of those places, but collectively, I loved our transient lifestyle.  Moving every two to three years was just a way of life for me.

4. Favorite sport/sports team?
I've learned to enjoy watching all kinds of sports (football, basketball, soccer, even ice hockey), but I don't have a favorite team.  My favorite sport to participate in?  Snowboarding.  Although, since becoming a mom, I haven't done much of it.  Now that we live in Colorado, I'm hoping to get back into it in another season or two.

5. How did I become a blogger?
I actually discovered blogs while I was researching information as a new mom: I wanted advice on cloth diapers, activities to do with newborns, etc. and I discovered the world of blogs.  For a long time, I only read blogs.  And one day I thought it would be nice to capture my ever-changing world (since becoming a mom) and I started blogging in the spring of 2013 when we moved from California to Colorado.

6. Favorite place to travel?
Ohhh this is a hard one.  I looooove to travel.  I would have to say Europe because there are many countries in that continent.  I've only been to France and Brazil outside of the U.S. and there are so many countries I want to visit.

7. What is your favorite food/meal/dish to cook?
Anything that requires braising.  Braising usually requires very little work (like using a crockpot): you sear the meat, then put it in a heavy pot and stick it in an oven for several hours at a low temperature (less than 300F).  The result?  Very tender meat!

8. Favorite song?
Can't say I have just one.  I'll pass.

9. Do you have fur kids?
Nope.  Last pet I had was a cocker spaniel that my brother and I shared when we were 10 and 12 years old.

10. What is the one item you always have with you?
Sadly that would be my smartphone.  Can't leave home without it.

Ten Questions for You and my Liebster Award Nominees
1. How do you typically start your day?
2. What is your favorite book?
3. What is the one piece you wish your current self could give to yourself at 21?
4. If the Internet didn't exist, how would you spend your free time?
5. What are you most looking forward to this upcoming holiday season?
6. Are weekends for relaxing or living it up?
7. What do you love most about blogging?
8. What do you love least about blogging?
9. Chocolate or fruit?
10. What is one of your talents? This can be big or small.  Just something that is unique to you!

My Five Nominations for the Liebster Award
Now it's my turn!  I'm nominating the following five bloggers and their blogs for the Liebster Award!  Go check them out -- I love visiting their blogs regularly!  And if they have the time, I hope that they do a Liebster Award post in the near future, answering the ten questions above, and nominating five more bloggers for the Liebster Award.

Yuliya @ Welcome to Mommyhood
Laura @ Fit Mama Love
Karen @ Running Over the Hill
Angie @ A Mother's Pace
Stacey @ Grief Bacon

Check out my ten questions above -- I'd love to hear from you and your answer(s) to one or more of these questions...

8 comments:

  1. I love your answers and great questions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for nominating me! I'm excited that i finally got to participate this time around!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited that you posted that recipe! It looks delicious!

    How cool that you used to snowboard!

    I loved traveling around Europe, too. I love Eastern Europe/Caucasus/Former Soviet countries, but I just love how Western Europe has accessible and reliable public transportation. It's so easy to get around here which just makes traveling so much easier :)

    Brazil seems awesome to go to. Especially now that I've seen your post on it, I really want to go :)

    And thank you so much for nominating me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yuliya! I miss snowboarding. I went once last winter, but that was it...

      And you're welcome on the Liebster Award nomination. I'm dying to read your answers to my questions!!

      Delete
  3. You are in the perfect place for winter sports :) You have been all over the world, that's awesome you enjoyed moving a lot. I can't imagine running 26 miles lol 5 months of training sounds really long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I can't let my stay in Colorado go to waste and NOT do some winter sports. Eventually I hope to get back to snowboarding and I'll probably take up cross country skiing (such an amazing workout).

      I lived in Hawaii for two years and I still regret that I did not do more while living there. More snorkeling, more swimming, more everything. I'm a horrible swimmer or I might have taken up surfing while I lived there.

      5 months of training is definitely the minimum that *I* need to run a marathon. I don't think I could have stuck to that long of a training program, had it not been for my running group, the San Diego Track Club.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for nominating me! I'll answer the questions here:

    1. How do you typically start your day?
    I wake up at 7 when the kids do, get them a banana and pour myself a cup of coffee.

    2. What is your favorite book?
    An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott. I found an old copy of this in my grandparents' house in high school and loved it.

    3. What is the one piece you wish your current self could give to yourself at 21?
    Don't buy a house until 2009.

    4. If the Internet didn't exist, how would you spend your free time?
    Reading

    5. What are you most looking forward to this upcoming holiday season?
    My youngest being old enough to really enjoy it this year. And her 2nd bday being on Thanksgiving this year!

    6. Are weekends for relaxing or living it up?
    Relaxing!

    7. What do you love most about blogging?
    Having a place to share my stories.

    8. What do you love least about blogging?
    All the time it takes up.

    9. Chocolate or fruit?
    Fruit and chocolate!

    10. What is one of your talents? This can be big or small. Just something that is unique to you!
    Hmmm...I don't know. Writing maybe, but it takes a lot out of me to write something decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thanks for answering all ten of my questions! I appreciate that you took the time...even though you've already been nominated previously for the Liebster award. I learned a little bit more about you from your answers, and I chuckled at your response to question #3. We bought a condo in 2005 and then had to sell it in 2011. It didn't work in our favor...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...