Monday, October 20, 2014

Oh to be Three Again

This weekend, I tried to spend as much quality time with my son.  I focused on setting aside the phone, the books, the magazines, and all the other things I like to do on the weekends when I'm not focusing on cooking and house chores.

I made a full commitment to engage with my son during as much of as his play as possible.  I mean I stop and read a book to him here and there throughout the day, but it was a real effort to sit and do puzzles, mess with playdoh, and play with his legos.  He's at this age now where he's independent, so when he plays, I try and get housework or some other task done.

Spending so much time with him this weekend got me thinking, three is a pretty good age.  I used to miss my twenties, when I was single and had all the free time in the world, but after this weekend, I've changed my mind.

The year I was three was probably a very good year.  If I could be three again...

...I would try as many sports as possible without fear of being judged.

...I would attend every friend's birthday party.  And say yes to cake every single time.

...I would definitely freeload and ride my dad's shoulders every moment possible.

...I would try and make every day Halloween.  There are never enough opportunities for dress up.


I no longer worry much about what others may think of me or whether my job defines who I am (that is, when I had a job), but there are days when I realize my son can teach me a thing or two about enjoying life rather than worrying about things that aren't worth worrying about.  Those are the days I realize that being a parent I have just as much to learn about life as my son does.

If you could rewind to any age of your life, what would it be?

8 comments:

  1. That picture with his face painted is so cute! Being 3 again does sound wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost got my face painted it looked like so awesome!

      Delete
  2. The face paint picture is adorable :) If I could rewind I would like start over about high school age. I can't even imagine how different things would go!! Playing and eating cake sounds great to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High school? I'd love to hear why...someday...

      Delete
  3. I'd love that, too! Being an adult is hard work, and seriously when did I become an adult?! I love your photos!

    I also agree about how becoming a parent has made me realise how much more there is to learn about life and myself, too. I never knew how impatient I was before. It's also amazing how we can manage to function (somewhat) on so little sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the compliment on my photos. I do better with outdoor photos than I do indoor photos (darned natural light!)

      I used to be super impatient before I became a parent. Of course, I may be less high strung these days because I don't work. :-)

      Delete
  4. What a fun post! 3 is a great age. My daughter will be 4 in a month and I've loved watching her personality grow in the past year. She's become quite an independent young lady! Your little guy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...