Monday, October 27, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 31 Weeks


Somehow, four weeks have flown by since my last pregnancy update.  Life gets busy.  It seems that as I get further along in my pregnancy, the weeks are flying by faster and faster.  I'm freaking out just a little...less than two months until my to-be-schedule c-section!!  Eek!

So let's get on with the update!

Baby Updates
My baby girl is about the size of a coconut, weighs about 3.3 lbs, and is 16 inches long.  She is moving a ton.  Beyond the usual post-dinner dancing in my belly, I'll sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to her movements.  She still responds positively to sugar (increased movement).

With less than two months to prepare, we are finally getting around to prepping the baby's room.  Surprisingly the husband has been getting into furniture shopping and paint choices for the room much earlier than I have.  It was his idea a few weeks back to go look at furniture (dresser, changing table) for baby girl's room.  I happily went along and was more than pleased that I didn't have to make decisions...I'm at that place where I only care about a few things: I want a "moses" basket so that we can have the baby near our bed the first 6-8 weeks; I want a very comfortable recliner because I know I'll be doing alot of night nursing (if baby #2 is anything like baby #1), and I am reading / re-reading books on breastfeeding and sleeping.

Mama Updates
Prenatal appointment: my last prenatal appointment was at 28 weeks.  I got my flu shot and my Tdap (Tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis) vaccine.  I am not a fan of the needle and was relieved when both shots were fairly painless (I asked the nurse if she could use a smaller gauge needle, and I think it helped).  As far as other pregnancy issues go (pre-eclampsia, swollen ankles, early contractions), I've been free and clear (knock on wood).

Weight gain: 18 pounds

Cravings / aversions: nothing specific these days.  I'm continuing my "mostly" Paleo diet, trying to focus on eating as many fresh veggies and fruits.  I am also eating yogurt, occasionally, which I wasn't consuming pre-pregnancy.

Sleep / rest: thanks to my Fitbit, I know that I have been getting somewhere between 7-8 hours of sleep a day.

What I'm looking forward to: I enjoyed nursing and I am only hopeful that nursing this second time around goes as smoothly as it did with my son.  I had some trouble the first few days (my milk didn't come in until day three or four) which created some anxiety for me, but once my milk came in, I had a pretty good run until I started baby-led weaning when my son was thirteen months old.  I can only hope that I'll nurse for that long with this baby.

What I'll miss: I have to say, that although I'm feeling fairly uncomfortable now (because I'm so big on my petite frame), I will miss the feeling of a living being within me.  I'm enjoying this pregnancy more than I did my first, mostly because I know that is my last pregnancy.  I feel more connected to this baby (prior to birth) than I did with my first -- again because now I now what's coming in two months.

In good company: I have two friends who are expecting close to when I am due.  I have a good friend in New York who is due right around Thanksgiving and another friend in Texas who is due the week before me.  Both friends are also pregnant with baby #2, so we've been comparing notes and keeping each other in good spirits.

Interested in hearing about anything else in these pregnancy updates?  Know anyone else who is expecting during the holidays?

8 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous, of course!

    Are you guys going to decorate a full nursery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey! Yes, the way we're talking right now, I think we are going to decorate a full nursery. My son was born in 2011 and after we had him, we weren't sure if we were going to have another one AND we moved from California to Colorado, so we sold alot of the big furniture. But we still have the crib and a changing table. We live in a two-story house now, and I know I want a changing table upstairs and downstairs, so now we have an excuse to buy a second changing table.

      The husband is even talking about selling the old crib and buying a new crib. My response? If you want to go through all that trouble, more power to you! You can do all that! :-)

      I'll probably do a post on the baby girl's room when it's looking close to complete. So far we have a crib, a brand new rug, and the old changing table. We bought some paint samples this weekend, so new paint will be going up soon. Maybe once we get some furniture, too, I can share the progress.

      Delete
  2. You look so great! I had a lot of the same feelings the second time around- I enjoyed pregnancy more and I'm enjoying the baby stage more, too (this is also likely our last baby). Can't believe how close you are to the end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Laura. I had fun watching you go through your second pregnancy (we were still working on getting pregnant or were just about there when you delivered) so it was a good mental prep for having baby #2.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful you have some close connections to share the journey with :) You really look amazing! Your weight gain seems perfect :) I am glad you still have some time to enjoy your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I am also glad that I get to live vicariously through you and all your training/running!!

      Delete
  4. You look lovely! My hubby and I just had a ttc conversation and reading your posts is getting me so excited (because you know, life isn't crazy enough ;) Anyway, it's great that you're enjoying your pregnancy :)

    Small frame + baby was definitely a challenge for me the last month of my pregnancy. I felt like I waddled everywhere I needed to go instead of walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yuliya! I am definitely a waddler now and trying desperately to not look so much like a penguin when I'm out and about.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...