Friday, October 10, 2014

Recipe! Corn and Cod Chowder


If you've been following any of my weekly meal plans, you may know that every Monday is Soup & Salad night at our house.  I've been craving soup as a comfort food and we've been trying out a lot of new soups...  Most of them have been good, but this was recipe got the most oohs and aahs.  Cod is a relatively inexpensive fish (compared to halibut or sea bass) so I think we'll be making this chowder on a regular basis.

I hope you'll give it a try too -- it's a fairly quick soup to make, so it's perfect for a weeknight. Serve it with some crusty bread and/or a simple green salad and dinner is served!

Or, since it's Friday, maybe you're looking for something fun to cook this weekend!


Corn and Cod Chowder


Serves: 4 (as a meal), 6-8 (as a side)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40-45 minutes

Ingredients
4 strips thick cut bacon
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 cups water
1 cup bottled clam juice
3/4 pound yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 rib celery, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1 cup whole milk (it'll taste better if it's full fat)
1 cup heavy cream
1-1.25 pounds cod fillet (skin removed), cut into 3/4" chunks
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

Directions
1.  In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, cook bacon until fat is rendered, over medium to medium-high heat.  Once bacon is crispy, remove and drain on paper towels.

2. Reduce heat to low.  In the same pot, add tablespoon of butter to bacon fat.  Add diced onions, and cook over low heat, stirring onions until they are translucent, about 3-5 minutes.

3.  Bring heat back to medium.  Add water, clam juice, potatoes, celery, red pepper flakes, salt, and bring mixture to a boil.  Once it begins boiling, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.

4. Crumble bacon, add to pot.  Add corn, milk, and cream and simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir in cod and pepper.  Bring back to a simmer and cook until fish is done, about 3-5 minutes.  Taste, adjust salt as needed.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. This has got me hungry!! I love chowder but for some reason have never made it ... now I'm wondering if I can find clam juice here in NL - or perhaps substitute for bouillon of some sort? One thing is certain: I was at a total loss for dinner inspiration tonight and now I know that some sort of hearty creamy soup needs to happen, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never made chowder before this recipe either... I've always thought "clam chowder" and never thought of making a fish chowder. And another first for this recipe, I didn't know where I was going to find "clam juice" so imagine my surprise when there were two different brands at my local supermarket. I hope you find clam juice or a substitute so you can try this recipe!

      Delete
  2. I love corn chowder but I've never had it with cod before. This looks and sounds amazing!

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I made this recipe, I only had cod when I had fish and chips. It's great in soup!

      Delete
  3. You had my hubby at bacon :) he loves bacon lol I promise one day I am going to try to cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon is the best. My favorite way to cook bacon these days is in the oven. Easy cleanup and I don't smell like bacon afterwards!!

      Delete
  4. Yum! Looks delicious! Do you think I could swap the cream for coconut milk or something else? Or would it be weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm that's an interesting idea. I think coconut milk just might work! After all, it works in thai soups. I think it wouldn't be as creamy, is all.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...