Monday, October 6, 2014

Who Stole my Monday Mojo?

I can tell that this Monday is going to be a struggle.  Usually, when I wake up on Monday, I'm ready to embrace the week, ready to get some real tasks done.  The husband is returning to work, the toddler is off to school, and I am refreshed from the weekend and ready to tackle some real tasks and projects.

Last Monday, I was excited to bake, ready to make some hearty soup, and itching to get some laundry done.  Heck, I might even do some real housecleaning (maybe I'd finally get the basement fully cleaned out and ready for winter?!)  

I had a great Monday morning.  I made my son a good breakfast, packed him a healthy lunch, got him to school on time (always a win).  Then I returned home and baked a carrot cake:


Made some broccoli & cheddar soup for lunch:

After my delicious lunch, I did some more laundry, and even got some letters written to some friends (I loooove sending snail mail to my friends).  And then this little freak hail storm happened:

The hail storm lasted a good 10 minutes and several of our cars got dented and taillights were broken.  The insurance company is coming this week to tally up the damage.

But that storm and the ensuing damage didn't even ruin my Monday mojo.  I folded some laundry, took a quick afternoon nap, and snuck in some vacuuming before I went to pick up my son from school.  The rest of the day was fun with a lovely dinner at home and lots of after dinner play time, and tv time for mama and papa after said toddler went to bed.

But this Monday, I'm looking at my To Do list and I'm not sure I want to tackle any of it:
- Take the comforters to the dry cleaners for a cleaning
- Grocery shopping
- Schedule my son's well-baby check up
- Return library books that are due this week
- Get caught up on some scrapbooking that is very much behind

I'm hoping that after I drop my son off at school, I will figure out what I need to do to jump start my usual desire to get something productive done and that will lead to a series of more tasks.  Maybe I need a walk to clear my head or I need to tackle a really serious cleaning job (the bathrooms?!)

I'll let you know what ends up happening this lovely Monday.

What do you do when you get in a funk and don't feel like doing anything much?

14 comments:

  1. How crazy about that hail storm!! Those are some big hunks of ice.
    My Mondays are always really hit-or-miss ... It usually starts from the moment I wake up. Either I'm in a mood to be productive or not at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the hail storm was early for the season. I've only been in Colorado for 18 months, so I've been here for an entire fall + winter, but this hail storm was by far, the biggest one I've seen while living here...

      Delete
  2. Boo for hail storms!! I'm from West Texas and hail is definitely an every year occurance that I do not miss!! I hope you get your mojo back and are super productive today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget that people from Texas are used to hail. I have a friend from Texas (who now lives in San Diego) and he could totally relate.

      Thanks for the well wishes Leslie!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's some big chunks of ice! Sometimes you just have to take a day and do something for you maybe that will help you feel motivated tomorrow. Nothing worse then a bunch of tasks facing you when your get and go is lacking just a little. You know it won't last though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I decided to do something that was appealing (rather than unappealing) and went shopping for some Montessori activities for my son.... I can't wait for him to get home after school and find all the fun new activities waiting for him!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh that cake looks so good! And that storm looks crazy!

    When I get into a funk, I go with it and relax unless there is something really urgent I need to take care of. Usually it means I've been doing too much and pushing myself too hard. After a day of rest or at least a nap, I'm usually able to tackle some of my to do list... or at least cuddle and read books with my son. I'll take toddler cuddles over doing anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh cuddles with the toddler sounds like a great way to get over the funk.

      The cake was amazing. It was so moist it lasted a whole week in the fridge. Unheard of. And perfect for my sweet cravings (i've made it with half the sugar recommended).

      Delete
  5. I've definitely had Mondays like that where I'm just in a funk. It helps me to set my to do list aside for 30-60 minutes and just do something for myself. Most of the time I am then able to come back refreshed and ready to tackle the to do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie I agree, doing something for yourself sometimes is the way to go. I ended up doing a little shopping (for the toddler, but it was still shopping) and suddenly I was feeling great again!

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I often get into a mood where I don't want to do even the simplest things. On Monday I had to stop and pick up something at the grocery store on the way home from work and I just did NOT want to do it. It only took like an extra 10 min out of my day but it annoyed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like me at times...not a difficult task, but I just don't want to...

      Delete
  7. Yikes! Those hail storms are something else! Had something similar here and we had a rental car at the time since ours was in the shop…dented the rental car all up. Just our luck huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the rental agency charge you or was it written off as an act of god?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...