Wednesday, October 1, 2014

WIAW #20: Homecooking

I love What I Ate Wednesdays with Jenn (@Peas and Crayons)...I love food...I love sharing what I've eaten at some point in the week and checking out what others are eating.  I have to admit, knowing that I am going to participate in WIAW often encourages me to eat better on the day that I'm photographing what I'll share on WIAW.  If that isn't a good reason to join in WIAW, I don't know what is.

How did your Tuesday go?  Mine started rather unusually... I woke up at 6am for no reason at all, and couldn't go back to sleep.  So I decided to wake up and make a breakfast other than my usual scramble or fried eggs & bacon.  

I made my usual cup of coffee (half & half, no sugar), and then put together a country omelette of mushrooms, red bell pepper, bacon, and potato.  I fry it up the ingredients in an iron skillet, add the eggs, and then bake the whole thing for about 10 minutes in the oven.  Easy peasy.
Lunch was so filling and I had such a busy morning that, before I knew it, it was 1pm and I was starving.  It was too late to make lunch, so I headed out for a little Korean food.  I ordered bibimbap, which is a delicious bowl of steamed rice topped with bean sprouts, carrots, spinach, lettuce, bulgogi (barbecued beef), and a fried egg on top.  The idea is to mix all the ingredients together (breaking the egg of course).  It comes with a delicious side of gojuchang, which you can mix in to adjust the spiciness to your liking.  It is one of my favorite Korean dishes.  Ever.
I usually have some kind of snack in the afternoon (an apple, pistachios, or if I'm bad, potato chips), but I ate lunch so late, there was no need for a snack.  Hubby came home from work early, so I was able to start cooking dinner early.  Exciting!

No, really, I'm not being sarcastic.  I knew my husband was going to come home early, so I made plans to make spaghetti & meatballs.  This is not a quick dish...it's something I usually make on a Sunday afternoon when I have lots of time to hang out in the kitchen.

So while my husband and son were in the backyard raking up leaves and bonding, I got to spend a little quality time in the kitchen, listening to podcasts and cooking up some meatballs and spaghetti.  Semolina pasta for the toddler.  Spaghetti squash for myself and my husband. 

It was a most enjoyable dinner.

What foods make you happy?  Do you enjoy cooking?



9 comments:

  1. It's only 9:45am yet I now have a serious craving for meatballs! Your dinner looks DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooooove meatballs. If they weren't so time consuming, I'd probably eat them every week. This week, I made double the batch of meatballs and froze half so that we could eat meatballs again next week!

      Delete
  2. I've never made spaghetti squash, but seeing it on everybody's blogs is making me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spaghetti squash is so easy: slice the squash in half, microwave for 5-10 minutes on high (depends on size of the squash), and spaghetti squash is served! Give it a try! A great stand in for regular pasta.

      Delete
  3. Okay honestly any food I don't cook makes me happy lol Your spaghetti looks awesome, I wish I had the patience to cook like that. I hate the clean up, so I try to keep things really simple most of the time. I have never seen a dish with a fried egg like that, looks yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! This all looks absolutely amazing and I want to eat all of it right now. I still haven't been able to find spaghetti squash here in the Netherlands (like after 5.5 years, it's still not here!). I'm going to grow it next year. And then I'll make meatballs, too ;) Bibimbap is my favourite, too! It's also another thing I miss about the US (or a large Dutch city) - really, really good, various Asian restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine not being able to find something like spaghetti squash...but it must be a regional thing (I don't know where spaghetti squash is grown outside of the U.S.)

      I can imagine it being hard to find Asian restaurants in certain parts of Europe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...