Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day in the Life: A Not-So-Paleo Day

Happy Wednesday friends!  Are you up for some food voyeurism?  I switched to a Paleo lifestyle this past February, but since getting pregnant, I've relaxed the Paleo rules.  I generally try to eat Paleo 80% of the time, but Tuesday was a BIG carb day -- by my usual Paleo standards.  Come join me for a review of my day, with a little taste of life, hour-by-hour.  I'm linking up this lovely Wednesday with Jenn from Peas and Crayons to share a day of eats.

7am - I get up out of bed to the sound of my husband starting a conference call in the office downstairs.  I head down to the kitchen to make coffee and Ellie Krieger's pumpkin pie muffin recipe.  While I start the recipe, little K wakes up and starts singing.  I go upstairs and bring him downstairs to join the kitchen fun.  He eats cereal while I make the pumpkin muffins.

8am - while I finish up the muffins, my husband makes me breakfast this morning!  That almost never happens.  I get a scramble with red bell pepper, scallions, and cheddar cheese.  Perfect with one of my pumpkin pie muffins.

9am - I say goodbye to son and hubby as they leave for school and work, respectively.  I normally take the 3 year old to school, but husband has some extra time today.  I scout the house for laundry, load the machines, and then I stop in the office to look at my calendar and to do list.  It's time to map out the day.

10am - I haven't left the house yet and I should -- I'm well overdue for some exercise, and I haven't gone for a walk in ages.  At 10:30am I finally head out the door, and admire my neighbors Halloween decorations.  Which reminds me, we still have to get our decorations up!

11am - I return home and start making meatballs.  My son loves meatballs and spaghetti, so I make this dish at least every other week.


12noon - meatballs are simmering in a marinara sauce.  I microwave a spaghetti squash, make lunch, and finish off with the remainder of one of the pumpkin pie muffins I ate this morning.  A perfect lunch!

1pm - I load dishwasher, clean up mess from frying meatballs.  I Google "storage of unused spaghetti squash" because I only microwaved half of my spaghetti squash and in addition to leftover cooked spaghetti squash, I still have half a raw spaghetti squash.

2pm - time for this pregnant mama to take her afternoon nap.  My last thoughts as I fall asleep?  I should have had one more meatball...

3pm - I wake up and continue the laundry I completely forgot about!  A half an apple for an afternoon snack.

4pm - a little more laundry while I watch some of my favorite cooking shows.

5pm - hubby picks me up from home.  He picked up our son from school, and we're headed out to a Restoration Hardware outlet to do some shopping.  We've been scouting for furniture for baby girl's nursery.  We don't find anything for the nursery today.

6pm - we have dinner at one of our favorite pizza places here in South Denver.  They have this one salad that I love... the mele fresca salad: spring mix with apples, toasted almonds, gorgonzola cheese, apples, and a light lemon vinaigrette, topped with prosciutto di parma.

Everything is fine except that I have to have two slices of this pizza.  It's delicious.

Having that pizza makes me want dessert.  So I order a cannoli to go.  Yum!

8pm on - when we get home, we get little K changed, brush his teeth, and read a book.  Then it's night night for him.  Hubby and I get to enjoy a movie... that's another thing I'm trying to enjoy before baby #2 comes: having my nights free to watch tv/movies.  I know these free days won't be around for much longer.

Have you watched any good movies lately?  Anything you can recommend?

13 comments:

  1. I love Ellie Krieger...her recipes are always great!! How did you store the spaghetti squash? I always try to buy little ones because the medium to large squash make way too much for me and Bobby! Also, that salad and pizza=delicious!! I'm totally drooling now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Ellie Krieger fan. Hooray! So I ended up storing the raw spaghetti squash in a ziploc in the fridge. I'm going to try and microwave/cook it today or tomorrow before it goes bad.

      I usually try and find the smallest spaghetti squash I can, but the hubby picked up this monstrosity, hence trouble trying to figure out what to do with the leftover squash.

      Delete
  2. You so have me wanting some non-paleo treats now, too :) I think I'll have to make something pumpkin-y and paleo-y tomorrow to satisfy that!

    What do you put into your meatballs? They look delicious! I had to laugh when I read what you were thinking about as you fell asleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy my non-paleo treats last night, but I have to confess that after I had that pizza and the cannoli (and I only ate half), I had the worst headache. So I had to go sleep feeling miserable...

      I'm going to share my recipe for meatballs soon, maybe this Friday...but I have to admit now that there ARE breadcrumbs in the meatballs. So they are not Paleo. I have not experimented to see if almond flour or another substitute would work...

      Delete
    2. Hm. I should try it with almond flour. I've just been skipping the flour altogether from my meatballs for a few years now actually. I did it once when we didn't have any and I didn't want to go to the store, and since then, I've realised, I just don't care if it's in there or not.

      I'm sorry about the headache though! That sounds so unpleasant. Did you feel better after sleep?

      Delete
  3. Yum! Those meatballs look delish! I need to make meatballs soon. I'm trying to hide liver into ground meat recipes and that would be a great one! Tried meatloaf last week and it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love meatballs...I had to sift through several recipes before I found the one worth tweaking just a bit. Now it's a keeper!

      Delete
  4. Your neighbour's decorations are so cute!! And oh my goodness that pizza ... need now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my neighbors are amazing when it comes to decorations. I can only watch... and learn.

      Delete
  5. OMG, this post made me hungry lol Your meat balls look perfect :) I want a cannoli and some eggs now. I love Fall decorations, but i have been lazy this year and don't have a thing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love meatballs...now that it's fall, I'm making them every two weeks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...