Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WIAW #23: Taking it Easy

The start of my morning Tuesday walk.  No, I was not on horseback.
After a few intense weeks of trying lots of new recipes, I'm taking a break this week.  My husband is on a business trip for the entire week, so there isn't much point in cooking big meals.

To be honest, I'm welcoming the change.  It's nice to take a breather from the kitchen.  I still have to do some cooking...after all, I've got a three year old who needs his lunch packed for school as well as breakfast and dinner at home.

As always, I'm linking up with Jenn at Peas and Crayons and sharing with you my eats (and some activities) from Tuesday.  If you're curious about what others are eating, come check out the link up!

I had a tough night of sleep (what pregnant mama doesn't?).  After waking up and seeing that my son is sleeping in (he's my alarm clock), I force myself up and out of bed to make a latte (thank you Nespresso machine!).  Still groggy, I look through the fridge and pantry for breakfast inspiration.  Seeing that the English muffins don't have much of a shelf life left, I make a poached egg, tomato, cheese breakfast sandwich.  Easy peasy.


After breakfast, I take my son to school, much later than normal.  Then I head out to one of my favorite trailheads for a walk.  I didn't exercise at all in my first trimester and now that I'm in my third trimester, I'm trying to get more exercise in.  Unfortunately, I'm also feeling terribly huge, so I'm not walking very fast.  My walk took so long that by the time I'm done, it's 11am and I'm ready for lunch.  I decide to go out for an early lunch and I settle on a Mediterranean gyro salad.  Afterwards, I go grocery shopping and return home.

When my husband is away and I'm a "single" parent, I prefer not to cook in the evenings so that I can spend my time with my son.  So as soon as I return home, I get to work on making a batch of meat sauce.  While the sauce is simmering, I decide to try out this Pumpkin Pie Smoothie recipe and am delightfully surprised.  It's delicious!

Later in the afternoon, I find myself eating a small bowl of the meat sauce.  In fact, I eat so much of it, that when it comes to dinnertime, I serve my son the meat sauce with penne pasta, but settle on some leftovers from the other night: Korean barbecue steak with rice and cherry tomatoes.

It was nice to be able to have an easy evening...instead of cooking, I was able to hang out with my son while he played with his latest entertainment: a new Lego set!  We've just moved from Duplo blocks to actual Legos and while he needs help in building things, he definitely enjoys the range of creativity that the Legos afford.

What is your cooking schedule like this week?  More eating in or eating out?  Leftovers or new meals?  Simple or complicated?

6 comments:

  1. So I was casually drooling over your amazing breakfast sandwich with the poached eggs and then you wrote 'easy peasy'! HAH! Any tricks for poaching eggs? Mine are invariably terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - I misled you - I did not make a poached egg. Just a regular sunny side egg. I like to make them per these helpful tips: http://www.ahealthysliceoflife.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-over-medium-egg/

      Delete
  2. Awww, I remember Lego days,I don't know how my son got to be 24 lol I am glad you are getting some walking in, it looks really pretty where you walk. The fresh air will do you good and you deserve a break :) As always eating simple, last night was couscous with Parmesan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it won't be long before I'll have a 24 year old and wondering where the time went! Simple dinners can be good!

      Delete
  3. the pumpkin pie smoothie looks to0-die-for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty delicious -- for me, more of a dessert or afternoon treat rather than something I'd drink for breakfast.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...