Friday, November 28, 2014

Celebrating the Week: Thanksgiving!

Happy Black Friday everyone!  This has been such a fabulous week.  The husband managed to clear much of his schedule and only had to work from home here and there so we've had alot of family time this week.  There were so many great moments this week...

Moment #1: the Last Rosebud
Surprisingly, my rose bushes had one last rose that managed to bud.  This is my first year with roses and I actually have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm not sure why this rose came along...


Moment #2: date afternoon.  On a Tuesday!
My husband managed to clear most of his work schedule for the entire week and took as many of his meetings by phone so that he could be home.  Tuesday afternoon was completely free, and our three-year-old was at school, so we decided to treat ourselves to a mid-week movie.  We saw Interstellar.  Despite being almost three hours long, I loved the movie.  Of course, I've liked almost everything that director/writer/producer Christopher Nolan has touched.

Moment #3: a dusting of snow
When I checked the forecast a week ago, it was originally going to snow on Thanksgiving day.  But that changed, and all we got was a light dusting on Wednesday morning.  I guess I'll take what I can get!

Moment #4: Thanksgiving day
Last year was our first Thanksgiving in our new home.  My husband's side of the family came to visit and it was such a nice way to start creating memories.  This year, Thanksgiving was just me, my husband, and my son, K.  And you know what?  It was wonderful.  It was nice not to have five people fighting for cooking space in my kitchen and it was nice to not have to worry constantly about whether the houseguests were happy and comfortable.  Because I didn't cook last year (I didn't want to compete with five other cooks), I didn't have much say in the menu, but this year, it was just me and my husband.  And he is a great co-chef.

I'll warn you now, here's where my post gets photo-heavy, so if you're not a foodie, you might want to skip to the end.  :-)

The first item of order on Thanksgiving day was the pie.  After making this chocolate pecan pie with bourbon, I knew I wanted to try making pecan-pumpkin pie.  I can't decide which of the two pies is my favorite.  I loved them both.



 My husband is the turkey pro between the two of us.  So I left the turkey to him.  He brined it overnight, and then roasted in the oven for about 2.5 hours.  We tried to find the smallest turkey we could and ended up with a 8 lb turkey.
 
While the turkey was roasting, we worked together on the sides: brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and stuffing.

And everything came together for a wonderful Thanksgiving meal.

U.S. readers, how was your Thanksgiving?
Non-U.S. readers, how was your week?  Anything exciting planned for the weekend?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a lovely Thanksgiving week! I don't eat turkey but my mom always used to make the stuffing on the side so that I could eat it too ... and now seeing your pictures I'm considering whether it would be weird to just make JUST stuffing with vegetarian gravy? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there is *nothing* wrong with making stuffing with some vegetarian gravy! Our stuffing was not cooked in the turkey -- we just made it on the side (technically "dressing" when you don't cook it in the turkey) and it is totally vegetarian: bread crumbs, celery, apple, and walnuts. It was really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic week! Do you have a recipe for your stuffing? I tried last year, but really don't know what I'm doing in that regard. And that dessert oh my! Desserts can really be my weakness when it comes to paleo! I don't eat them too often, but when I do go for something non-paleo, it would be something like that pie! Mmm.

    How fun that you have a rose bud right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so yummy! I haven't seen Interstellar yet. Glad you got to have some time with hubby and enjoy the holiday. The pecan pie is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...