Monday, November 10, 2014

Date Night & Southern Cooking

We spent this weekend trying to enjoy being out and about as much as possible because the weather forecast for the upcoming week in Denver is...

Yeah, I've been wondering for awhile when we'd get our first snowfall of the season.  It's looking to be a pretty cold week with the highs not getting above 34 all week.

On Friday, I shared in my 33 Week Pregnancy Update that I could go into labor at any time based on new information after my 32 week prenatal appointment revealed that I have too much amniotic fluid in my uterus.  Suddenly, my every-four-weeks prenatal appointments have been upped to going in twice a week.

Well I'm happy to tell you that I was able to enjoy my weekend and everything we had planned.  First off, we had plans for date night on Saturday.  We had tickets to see Mozart's Requiem led by Pinchas Zukerman, a renowned violinist, violist, and conductor visiting the Colorado Symphony.  If you've seen the movie Amadeus, you'll recognize Mozart's Requiem.

My husband and I aren't huge classical music fans, but we do love culture.  We love to see the ballet, the opera, and the symphony every couple of years.  And this performance was amazing.  Definitely one we'll be talking about for a long time.

On Sunday, we went to brunch at Sassafras, one of just a few restaurants in town that serves Southern food.  It's fun to go when I have a hankering for fried green tomatoes or grits.  It's housed in a cute little cottage of a home and the interior is cozy and welcoming.  We got there early enough that we beat the wait.  I had a gritcake with fried oysters and poached eggs.  Yum.

After brunch, we took the toddler to the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.  Getting there early in the morning is great because you can beat the crowds.  It was a good morning.

The rest of the weekend we relaxed, worked a bit on the nursery (husband painted), and made a lovely dinner.

How as your weekend?  Do you enjoy the performing arts (plays, musicals, ballet, opera, etc.)?

14 comments:

  1. I will have to go back and catch your pregnancy update. What a cute place! I love how you find all these neat little places :) The cold is coming fast for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's only 1pm here on Monday and it's already 32F outside. I'm so glad I'm not working these days and I can stay home and cozy...

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness that food looks AMAZING! I don't think I've ever had proper Southern ... definitely not something to look for here :P Maybe something fun to experiment with in the kitchen?
    I've been craving a good night at the symphony for a few weeks now! I don't go very often (in fact, the last time I went was to a modern Dutch composer, where there were skits and jokes in between that were totally lost on me) but for some reason I've been meaning to book tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh another symphony lover! I do like classical music, but I can't say it's my #1 favorite when it comes to the performing arts.

      I'd be surprised if you could find American Southern cooking in Netherlands! I grew up mostly in California, so I didn't know about Southern food until sometime after college. I get to enjoy Southern food every other Christmas when we visit Charleston, South Carolina for the holidays.

      Delete
  3. Look at you beating the crows everywhere you went this weekend. Who sleeps in on the weekend anyways? I mean why waste half your day away in bed.. ya know?

    Happy you and your hubby were able to enjoy another date night before your bundle of joy makes her appearance <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I'm also having fun monitoring your pregnancy with the twins. I hope you are getting a few date nights in, too!

      Delete
  4. What a fun weekend!! Brunch looks amazing! I'm glad that your little girl is staying put for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie. Every night, I lay down, say a little prayer to my belly and ask my little girl to be patient...just a few more weeks please!

      Delete
  5. Woah, that forecast is crazy! This is our last warm day before it goes down to the low 60s. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, gotta love that perfect Bay Area weather. Even the winters are mild there. I miss them!

      Delete
  6. A symphony music night is something my husband and I like, too! We'll have to check out Sassafras the next time we visit Denver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love knowing there are symphony/orchestra music lovers out there. Sometimes I feel "young" in the sea of older listeners that generally frequent orchestra and ballet performances.

      Delete
  7. Brrr...the cold weather is officially here now. It dropped 20 degrees while we were at the dentist yesterday afternoon! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a nice weekend and keep all of your fun plans! We almost went to the science museum last time we were in Denver. It's definitely on our list for our next trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...