Tuesday, November 11, 2014

How to Prepare for a Polar Vortex


Have you heard about this winter storm hitting Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan?  I live in Colorado, and we're definitely feeling the effects.  This is my second winter in Colorado and so far both winters have been quite the experience for this California girl.  All weekend, I braced myself for the downturn in weather.  I have a good friend from San Diego visiting, and we're supposed to meet up on Tuesday for dinner.

I wonder what she is thinking about this week's forecast?

We made the most of the weekend, going out for date night on Saturday and brunch and a museum on Sunday, but I was still not prepared how quickly the temperatures dropped on Monday morning.  What started out as a beautiful sunny day (around 66F) at 9am quickly turned windy and gray.  By 2pm it was 22F and snowing:

So how does one prepare for a week of chilly weather?  I spent my Monday morning preparing...

Prep the crockpot!  Sunday afternoon, I bought all the ingredients for Sunday dinner as well as a new crockpot recipe for Monday night: Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie.  It's a new recipe, so I have no idea if it's any good.  Fingers crossed.


Stock up on movies!  I love my local library.  I went to return a stack of books and picked out a variety of movies that I hope will encourage me to sit still and try to stay off my feet this week.  Last week I found out that although I'm only in week 34 of my pregnancy, I could have my baby any day now.  My husband has been encouraging me to stay off my feet.  I think he'd approve of this stack of movies.


Grab a holiday drink! After my trip to the library, I picked up one of my favorite holiday drinks at Starbucks.  I'm still trying to keep my processed sugar intake down, but I will indulge in a dessert drink now and again.

Pull out my warmest layers.  I love wearing hats and scarves in the winter.  This year I added a new option... arm warmers!  I've worn these newbies once, but it wasn't really cold that day -- I just wanted to try them out.  I'll definitely be layering these over my glove liners later this week.

What's the weather like where you're living?

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about the crockpot chicken pot pie! Our temps tanked yesterday too, but no snow. Just a little frost this morning. I'm not ready for winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine you're ready for winter, especially if you just got back from your honeymoon!

      Delete
  2. Your arm warmers are adorable!! Your neighborhood looks so pretty! I am trying to figure out what to run in Saturday - chilly about 40ish, but nothing like your chill yet! Watch those movies and rest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh finding good running gear to wear once it starts getting below 40 can be challenging. When I moved to Denver, I got excited about buying a new set of running gear for running in that sub-40 weather. :-)

      Delete
  3. It's going to be cold in my neck of the woods, but definitely not THAT cold. Glad to hear you'll be taking it easy and staying off your feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you're not part of the arctic chill!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I can't even imagine this weather at this time of year. Growing up in NY, snow before Thanksgiving was no good. No one wanted that! After Thanksgiving, I was all for it, though. Now here in CA, I'm happy with weather in the 60s. :) Stay warm! Oh and what is your favorite holiday drink? Mine is the gingerbread latte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favorite holiday drink... it used to be the salted caramel macchiato (is that right?) but right now it's the peppermint mocha.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! It looks like some crazy weather happened! It's great that you're so prepared - oiii. We haven't had any snow this year so far and had flurries once last year. It's quite unusual for us, and I almost miss the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a compliment if someone from the Netherlands says we're getting crazy weather. :-)

      I'm just glad I love inclement weather!

      Delete
  6. Those arm warmers are super cute! Crock pot chicken pot pie sounds wonderful. You'll have to let us know how it tastes. It's cold and windy here but the crazy thing is that we just had an earthquake this afternoon! It's actually the second one that I've felt here in Wichita but this one was much bigger than the last one. I know that's probably not a big deal to someone from California... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...